14.0644 e-bouncer vs e-dictator; a two-edged sword conjecture

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 15:25:55 EST

       [1] From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com> (18)
             Subject: Re: 14.0641 e-bouncer vs e-dictator

       [2] From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com> (55)
             Subject: Civilization as a Two Edged Sword Conjecture -
                     Doctorow

             Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:17:26 +0000
             From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>

    Rather than Dibbell's article, his book My Tiny Life indicates the com-
    plexities of online behavior and politics. But I think the reason that
    flames and so forth have lowered in intensity is based largely on demo-
    graphics and applications.

    The demographics of the Net have changed radically in the last few years;
    it's no longer dominated by young males on college computers. And chat
    applications for example are more protected than open IRC; it's harder to
    span/easer to ban on them.

    Flaming still goes on wildly on IRC and some lists such as 7-11 which is
    organized around net.artists.

    I moderate a number of lists and it's not really a question of filtering
    (although Pine at least in the past two builds has had that) or delete;
    it's the changing quality of life on the screen.

    Alan

    Internet Text at http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt
    Partial at http://lists.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/internet_txt.html
    Trace Projects at http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/writers/sondheim/index.htm