14.0568 new on WWW

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 12/16/00

       [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>        (135)
             Subject: Fwd: [STOA] Suda Classics 1.12: Arion [December 2000]

       [2]   From:    Stevan Harnad <harnad@cogprints.soton.ac.uk>        (59)
             Subject: Eprint 1.0 now donwloadable from eprints.org

       [3]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (17)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Albert Borgmann on _Society in the Postmodern Era_

             Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:24:13 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

     >From: "P. T. Rourke" <ptrourke@MEDIAONE.NET>
     >To: <BYZANS-L@lists.missouri.edu>, <stoa@colleges.org>,
     >    <SUDATORES@LSV.UKY.EDU>, <classics@u.washington.edu>,
     >    <Anahita-l@egroups.com>, <suda@LSV.UKY.EDU>
     >>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:31:39 -0500
     >>
     >[Apologies for Cross-Posting]
     >
     >The Suda On Line presents the December 2000 edition of Suda Classics, a
     >monthly message featuring the best of recent additions to the Suda On Line
     >database of translations from the Suda.  As of this afternoon, nearly 6300
     >of the 30,000+ entries in the Suda have been assigned to
     >translator-volunteers,
     >over 4700 have been translated, and over 1100 have undergone at least
     >preliminary vetting and editing.  The rate of translation continues to
     >accelerate, and is about to exceed 1,000 entries per month.
     >
     >There were a number of nominees for this month's entry, but the winning
     >nominee was Alpha 3886 Adler, the entry on Arion (the 6th century bce poet,
     >not the horse), in a draft translation by Tony Natoli of the University of
     >New South Wales Library.
     >
     >[quote]
     >Headword: Arion
     >Adler number: alpha,3886
     >Vetting Status: DRAFT
     >
     >Translation:
     >
     > From Methymna, a lyric poet, the son of Kykleos. He was born in Olympiad
     >thirty-eight. [1] Certain people recorded that he was even a pupil of
     >Alkman. He composed songs comprising two books of Preludes to epic poems. It
     >is claimed also that he was the inventor of the tragic style and that he was
     >the first to establish a chorus, [2] to sing a dithyramb, to provide a name
     >for what the chorus sang [3] and to introduce satyrs speaking in verse. He
     >retains (omega) also in the genitive. [4]
     >
     >Notes:
     >
     >[1] 628-625 BCE. The words have also been interpreted to mean that he
     >flourished in Olympiad thirty-eight.
     >
     >[2] Literally, to set up a chorus. Pickard-Cambridge [p.97] translates
     >first composed a stationary chorus and he notes on p.11 that
     >in late
     >authors it means to make a chorus sing a stasimon.
     >
     >[3] Compare Herodotus 1.23: Arion was the first man we know to have
     >composed the dithyramb and given it a name. According to
     >Pickard-Cambridge
     >[p.12 cf. Campbell pp. 11-12] the implication is that Arion made the chorus
     >sing a regular poem, with a definite subject from which it took its
     >name,
     >and not that Arion invented the name dithyramb.
     >
     >[4]The object 'omega' is an early editorial supplement omitted by Adler but
     >incorporated by Bekker.

     >D.A.Campbell, Greek Lyric [LCL] v.3, pp. 1-2, 16-25.
     >O.Crusius , Arion 5 in RE 2.1, cols.836-841.
     >R.A.S.Seaford, Arion in OCD 3rd ed. p. 158.
     >A.W.Pickard-Cambridge, Dithyramb, Tragedy and Comedy, 2nd ed. Rev.
     >T.B.L.Webster. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1962, pp.10-12, 97-101.
     >Associated internet address:
> [...]

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Senior Lecturer /
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities / King's College London /
    Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/

             Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:25:34 +0000
             From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@cogprints.soton.ac.uk>

    The operational release of the Eprints archive-creating software is now
    down-loadable from http://www.eprints.org

    The eprints.org software will create Eprints Archives that
    are interoperable and compliant with the current Open Archives protocol.
    The software is free, uses only free software, and can be installed
    and maintained easily. It is modular, and written to be easily upgraded
    with each upgrade of the Open Archives protocol:
    http://www.openarchives.org

    All Eprint Archives created with the eprints.org software are fully
    interoperable, and can be registered as Open Archive Data Providers:
    http://www.openarchives.org/sfc/sfc_archives.htm

    This means that their contents can then in turn all be harvested, jointly
    indexed, and jointly searched with all the other Eprint Archives
    through Open Archive Service Providers
    <http://www.openarchives.org/sfc/sfc_archives.htm>
    such as
    http://arc.cs.odu.edu

    All Eprints can also be citation-interlinked:
    http://opcit.eprints.org
    so that the research literature can be navigated by citation. It will
    also be possible to monitor research impact in powerful new ways,
    once the eprints are up there:
    http://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad00.citation.htm

    The Eprints software was expressly designed so that universities and
    research institutions worldwide can now immediately create their own
    Open Archives, in which their researchers in all disciplines can
    (immediately) self-archive their research -- both pre-refereeing
    preprints and refereed postprints.
    http://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Tp/1-Anomalous-Picture/sld001.htm
    http://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Tp/2-Resolving-the-Anomaly/sld001.htm

    As soon as universities create their own Eprint Archives and their
    researchers self-archive their papers in them, the world's refereed
    research literature will be freed from all its current needless
    access-barriers and impact-barriers.

          Footnote: HISTORY IS WATCHING. The means of freeing the entire
          refereed research literature (within a matter of days, in
          principle!) is now within the reach of the world research
          community. If you have a published paper of your own that has not
          reached its full potential readership, if there is a published
          paper by someone else that you or your university cannot afford to
          access, or cannot access immediately, or if your university has a
          "serials crisis" preventing its researchers from accessing the
          entire refereed research corpus -- AND you have NOT self-archived
          your own papers -- then, as of now, you have only yourself to blame
          (and history will be the judge, in hindsight)!

    Stevan Harnad                     harnad@cogsci.soton.ac.uk
    Professor of Cognitive Science    harnad@princeton.edu
    Department of Electronics and     phone: +44 23-80 592-582
                   Computer Science     fax:   +44 23-80 592-865
    University of Southampton         http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
    Highfield, Southampton            http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
    SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM

    NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
    access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
    American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00):

          http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/september98-forum.html

    You may join the list at the site above.

    Discussion can be posted to:

          september98-forum@amsci-forum.amsci.org