14.0424 vita(e)? who knows?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/27/00

       [1]   From:    Paul Brians <brians@mail.wsu.edu>                   (20)
             Subject: Vita or vitae?

       [2]   From:    Jascha Kessler <jaschak@earthlink.net>               (9)
             Subject: Re: 14.0417 backward-downward hypnotic search

             Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:00:28 +0100
             From: Paul Brians <brians@mail.wsu.edu>

    I hope the members of this list will help me with a Latin question that is
    only distantly connected with computing. I run a site called "Common Errors
    in English" <http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/> which generates a lot of
    e-mail. Lately I've received two queries about "vitae." Some people seem to
    be insisting on this form rather than "vita" to denote a resume.

    My analysis is that the original phrase was "curriculum vitae" ("course of
    one's life"), with the -ae ending indicating the genitive. But when "vitae"
    stands alone the ending instead suggests a misleading plural, so the proper
    term is "vita" (unless, of course, one intends to claim to one's credit
    achievements from earlier incarnations).

    I don't know whether the people insisting on "vitae" think "curriculum" is
    "understood" or just don't understand that the -ae ending has two different
    functions here in Latin.

    What's your view?
    --
    Paul Brians, Department of English