14.0385 Virginia to create 21st-century Digital Academical Village

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/20/00

             Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:55:11 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: UVA receives $25 million to integrate IT & humanities

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    October 19, 2000

                 Halsey Minor Gives $25 Million to University of Virginia
                   To Create 21st-century Digital Academical Village

                 Includes funding for research center to foster meaningful
           intellectual partnerships between computer scientists and humanists
    <http://www.virginia.edu/topnews/releases2000/minorgift-oct-18-2000.html>http://www.virginia.edu/topnews/releases2000/minorgift-oct-18-2000.html

    This news release from the University of Virginia is very encouraging.

    David Green
    ===========

     >Oct. 18, 2000 -- Halsey M.Minor, founder and chairman of CNET Inc.,
     >will                give $25 million to the University of Virginia to
     >integrate digital technology with the humanities and social sciences in
     >ways that promise to redefine a liberal arts education in the Internet Age.
     >
     >University President John T. Casteen III called Minor's gift extraordinary
     >in its foresight. "His creative thinking and generosity will help us to
     >infuse new ways of teaching and learning into our classrooms and our
     >libraries so that we can play a key role in transforming higher education
     >more broadly through innovative uses of digital technology," Casteen said.
     >
     >Minor's challenge gift is designed to encourage other donors --
     >individuals, corporations, foundations and governmental entities - to
     >match his commitment in both funds and support for the project. The gift
     >is the largest ever to U.Va.'s College of Arts & Sciences, and will help
     >create a 21st-century Digital Academical Village, modeled on Thomas
     >Jefferson's original Academical Village, where faculty and students live
     >and learn in proximity to one another.
     >
     >The Digital Academical Village will comprise:
     >* a research center that will foster meaningful intellectual partnerships
     >between computer scientists and humanists, as well as integrate technology
     >into traditional forms of teaching and scholarship;
     >* new multi-disciplinary undergraduate and graduate programs in media
     >studies and digital media that emphasize the understanding and imaginative
     >uses of new technology;
     >* a cutting-edge academic facility to house these programs, other existing
     >digital initiatives, and related academic departments and programs.
     >
     >"Our aim will be to make the University the world leader in using
     >technology and in assessing its role in human affairs," said Melvyn P.
     >Leffler, dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. "We have been pioneers in
     >using digital technology for humanities research, teaching and outreach.
     >This gift enables us to reach a new level of sophistication in our efforts
     >to analyze, preserve, and transmit human culture."
     >
     >Minor, who graduated in 1987 with a degree in anthropology, has been
     >fascinated with technology since his youth. This passion has inspired each
     >of Minor's entrepreneurial ventures, from a database driven
     >apartment-locating business in Charlottesville, to CNET Networks, today
     >one of the world's leading new media companies. Minor founded CNET in 1992
     >to provide trusted information about technology and pioneered new ways to
     >use the Internet and digital technology to deliver that information in
     >more efficient, useful ways than had ever been done before. Today, CNET
     >Networks is one of the top 10 destinations on the Internet, with
     >award-winning Web sites, television and radio programming that reaches
     >millions of people around the world every day.
     >
     >Minor hopes his gift will be a catalyst for the University to evolve and
> [...]

    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.