14.0333 primitives & human methodologies

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/10/00

             Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:06:15 +0100
             From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>
             Subject: Re: 14.0327 method/methodology in the definition of
    primitives?

    At 07:34 AM 10/9/00 +0100, you wrote:

     >Could we then say that Unsworth's
     >primitives are methodological whereas the lower-level software primitives,
     >such as SORT, are methodical?

    That seems useful to me.

    To the kind of "methodical" primitives we have talked about, such as sort,
    filter, transform (note that in this context 'transform' is a *mechanical*
    exercise), we should certainly add the work that goes into *preparing* an
    electronic text and whatever apparatus we might bring to it (our word lists
    and so forth). It's too easy to forget this aspect of the work.

    Which takes us directly back to "methodological" primitives, textual
    criticism etc. It seems there's no escaping the human aspect of humanities.
    (Which is fortunate.)

    Regards,
    Wendell