14.0321 hyperlinking

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/06/00

       [1]   From:    John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk>           (30)
             Subject: hyperlinking

       [2]   From:    Einat Amitay <einat@ics.mq.edu.au>                  (14)
             Subject: Re: 14.0313 readings & thoughts on hyperlinking

       [3]   From:    Mick Doherty <mickwrites@yahoo.com>                 (18)

             Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 20:27:00 +0100
             From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk>

    I guess I don't find the explicitness issue that Willard raises very
    compelling.  The examples he gives just look like perfectly ordinary
    citations of previous discussions, there more as professional duty than
    because you are expected to go look at them ever.  And generally I'm
    not very sympathetic to arguments about the subtle hints that people
    build into scholarly prose, especially in something like a commentary
    that presents itself as more factual than interpretive.  I suspect
    these hints are not getting interpreted properly by many readers, and
    certainly they're the first thing to go when someone cites or
    paraphrases your remarks.  It's also very often something you could
    express directly but don't; the direct expression would really be
    better.  I'm reminded of a comment of Jorge Luis Borges in his essay
    "The Superstitious Ethics of the Reader" from 1931:

           The perfect page, the page in which no word can be altered
           without harm, is the most precarious of all. Changes in language
           erase shades of meaning, and the "perfect" page is precisely the
           one that consists of those delicate fringes that are so easily
           worn away. On the contrary, the page that becomes immortal can
           traverse the fire of typographical errors, approximate
           translations, and inattentive or erroneous readings without
           losing its soul in the process.

    What he's describing in the last sentence is not a universal
    criterion, but I think a good one for a lot of scholarly writing.

    Perhaps I'm touchy about this because I recently read a piece of
    writing that cites one of my own writings, and describes it as arguing
    precisely the opposite of what I was saying; that does lead me to feel
    we should all write everything in crayon rather than with a battery of
    finely gradated pencils.

    John Lavagnino