14.0320 assessment mechanisms for online work?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/06/00

             Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 20:25:35 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: 1995 expectations in 2000

    Willard,

    I do thank the vigourous Jacksonian exchange on digital libraries which
    has provided me an opportunity to segue to this consideration which I have
    been meaning to bring forwarded.

    I have had recent occasion to reread a piece by Seth R. Katz, "Graduate
    Programs and Job Training" which appeard in _Profession 95_, a publication
    of the Modern Language Association. On page 65 towards the end of a
    section entitled "Online Publishing and Other Online Academic Activities,
    Katz, one can read the following sentence :

    Online activities may even bring more public relations benefit to the
    institution than the traditional kind do, since they often reach more
    people more immediately and more frequently.

    Katz's frames this observation in the context of emerging critiera for
    performance measures of collaborative and online work. One can clearly
    read the" any place any time" hype generated by the opening of the World
    Wide Web and the Internet to commerical interests. I am wondering if any
    subscribers to Humanist would care to comment on the evolution of
    assesment mechanisms for online work, in particular if any attention has
    been focussed not only on very punctual model (x amount of people served
    in y time) but also on a longtitudinal model (activities and
    resource-building that continue to accrue value over time).  Perahps the
    "noisy library" thread with its most recent pointer to matrices of trust
    could be woven into this call to consider how, as a discipline, humanities
    computing markets success.

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance