14.0226 meaning of "course buyout"

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 08:42:13 CUT

             Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:40:28 +0100
             From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mgk@pop.uky.edu>
             Subject: Re: 14.0223 what is a "course buyout"?

    My understanding of "course buyouts" is that the practice involves faculty
    paying for the privilege of not teaching one of their reguarly assigned
    courses, either by voluntarily remitting a portion of their salary or by
    allocating grant funding for that purpose. The questions we've been asked to
    review here include how often faculty should be permitted to exercise such an
    option, what constitutes an appropriate dollar amount, whether the amount
    should vary depending on the nature of the course, and so forth.

    As noted in my original posting, I'm asking not out of personal interest but as
    a fact finding exercise for a departmental committee.

    Thanks, Matt