14.0187 machines & pride, cyberspace

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 15:17:56 CUT

       [1] From: "Pat Moran" <pjmoran@gdsys.net> (20)
             Subject: Re: 14.0180 machines, pride and pure research?

       [2] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (75)
             Subject: accidents and essence: more on cyber guiding

             Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 16:05:55 +0100
             From: "Pat Moran" <pjmoran@gdsys.net>

    It's always a hoot to hear people make pronouncements on
    what they will "never" do or about things which will "never" occur.
    This very gentlemanly reading of pompous behavior ["for some
    that cloud of unknowing is intolerable"] surely applies to
    Rousseau's comments in his "Confessions, Part I, Book 1"--
    "I am commencing an undertaking, hitherto without precedent,
    and which will never find an imitator."
    The idea that autobiography could be "without precedent" and the
    contention that no one could imitate his efforts always inspire
    my previously spark-less adult military students to quiet chuckles
    and/or peals of laughter. Perhaps they're thinking of how
    Rousseau's research reveals, rather than requires the "cloudy
    state of mind." One needn't be considering technology to
    get a laugh out of academics and psychics.
    Patricia J. Moran, FSU
    Ed. Foundations and Policy Studies
    312 Stone Bldg., Tallahassee, FL 32306
    850-575-7787