14.0186 Disraeli's philosopher & the 1857 comet

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 15:17:18 CUT

             Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 16:04:08 +0100
             From: "Jim Marchand" <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
             Subject: Re: 14.0182 reactions to the 1857 comet?

    Offhand, I cannot identify the `philosopher', other than to say that he may
    actually be Disraeli himself. There were so many end-of-the-world books,
    many of which used comets. William Whiston's New Theory of the Earth (1696)
    was famous and would certainly fit. Just a little later, there was Ignatius
    Donnelly's Ragnarok (1882), too late to be taken into consideration, but
    with the same theme. It is interesting how the scientific community often
    accepted these books. Look at Martin Gardner, Fads & Fallacies in the Name
    of Science (Dover, 1957).