14.0006 Humanist's birthday

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 06:59:00 CUT

       [1] From: Elisabeth Burr <he229bu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de> (116)
             Subject: Re: 14.0001 HAPPY now we are 13 BIRTHDAY

       [2] From: "Price, Dan" <dprice@tui.edu> (30)
             Subject: Humanist Discussion Group--Reflections

             Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 07:43:51 +0100
             From: Elisabeth Burr <he229bu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de>

    Dear Willard, dear Humanist,
    this birthday comes just right and above all the proverb
    "Do what you do only out of love." It is sometimes so
    easy to forget this. Apart from fascinating intellectual
    discussions and contributions concerning a field which
    can be very disconcerting because of its fuzziness and
    instability Humanist and you Willard have managed to
    to create and follow a line of discourse which links science,
    intellect and emotions. Do carry on. Happy birthday!
    Elisabeth

    At 19:54 07.05.00 +0100, you wrote:

    > Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 14, No. 1.
    > Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
    > <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
    > <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
    >

    > Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 19:47:35 +0100
    > From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
    > >
    >Dear Colleagues:
    >
    >Thirteen years ago today Humanist began as an experiment on the strength
    of an
    >inspiration that somehow something good would come of it. Many good things
    >have, for me the most important of them quite unexpectedly. You may not
    >count these yearly editorial ruminations among those good things :-), but I
    >do hope that you, like me, welcome the chance to stop for a moment and
    >think about Humanist in the context of our field(s) of activity and the
    >loosely bound, widely distributed community of people -- some of them of
    >long-standing, some of them new and, alas, some of them gone -- that
    >Humanist has helped to define. None of us has the time to review the past
    >year-in-Humanist, and I trust none is so foolish as to attempt prediction
    >of the one we begin today. I'll certainly do neither. Cook's privilege is
    >to taste the cooking, editor's to say whatever he or she likes. Permit me
    >to combine those roles in a very personal way. I often think that what I do
    >under the rubric of editor is to stir the pot, so here goes.
    >
    >Permit me also, please, to draw on experience without your attributing to
    >the act the qualities of age that may seem inseparable from it. Especially
    >the greybeardedness. That colour and my beard are not unrelated, but the
    >sedentary gravitas and settled authority that greybeards can so easily put
    >on I find personally dead wrong and professionally suicidal. I hope that
    >it's entirely unnecessary to say that the joy of being alive is simply too
    >unsettling to make greybeardedness an attractive mental state, or as my
    >poet Ovid wrote about a not entirely dissimilar situation, "non bene
    >conveniunt nec in una sede morantur / maiestas et amor..." (Met 2.846f). As
    >for our field, it changes too quickly. New vistas -- such as new media
    >studies, now not so new -- open up, and suddenly we need to reconfigure
    >what we think and how we think, publish and teach it. Greybeards are likely
    >to end up, to quote Peter Batke, feeling as if they're sitting in the
    >middle of the road with tire tracks up their back.
    >
    >Perhaps the most valuable thing I can say about the very beginning of
    >Humanist is the autobiographical fact of its originating inspiration. It
    >came to me, suddenly in a meeting of like-minded, more or less unrecognised
    >and quite disgruntled academics 13 years ago, that there was 'something for
    >me' in the effort to bring us together and define what we were doing -- no
    >more, really, than a whiff of something good on the wind. I think the
    >professional analogue to this personal incident and the crucial role of
> [...]
    Prof'in Dr. Elisabeth Burr
    FB10/Romanistik
    Universitaet Bremen
    eburr@uni-bremen.de