12.0593 need for Internet II? concordance publishers?

Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:16:46 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Ron Zweig <ron@rambam.tau.ac.il> (27)
Subject: Do Humanists need Access to Internet II

[2] From: Darryl Whetter <G1W8@unb.ca> (30)
Subject: concordance publishers

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:59:28 +0100
From: Ron Zweig <ron@rambam.tau.ac.il>

I would like to request the assistance of fellow Humanists
in listing all the reasons that we
- as mere purveyors of texts and images - require access
to a new, improved version of Internet.

Internet II will give vastly greater bandwidth to academic
institutions, and the fight is on for equal and fair
access to these new resources. In Israel this fight has
been turned into an open gladitorial competition.
The more veteran computing resource guzzlers - physics,
chemistry, mathematics - are making a strong
case to dominate access to the broader bandwidth, and to
exclude the Humanities altogether.

The Ministry of Science and Technology, to whom I am
indebted for significant grants, has asked me to present
the case of the Humanities.

Help me, colleagues, help me or I lose this battle. I have
a week to get some ideas together. Why do *we* need
a share of the brave new Internet? Your comments and
opinions will be greatly welcomed. Good ideas will be
integrated into my presentation. Bad ones will be
accredited.

With thanks

Dr. Ronald W. Zweig
Kipp Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities,
Tel Aviv University
ron@rambam.tau.ac.il