12.0591 Amazon.com & paper mills

Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:15:49 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us> (8)
Subject: Re: 12.0590 Amazon.com & academic paper mills

[2] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (19)
Subject: paper mills & handwriting

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:01:37 +0100
From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us>

I have a question: how does anyone know that the "junglepage.com"
student paper mill has anything to do with Amazon? I know that Amazon
acquired recently a business called Junglee, but that had nothing to do
with this. Is there any substantiation to this claim?

--
Patricia Galloway
Mississippi Department of Archives and History

--[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:02:32 +0100 From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> Subject: paper mills & handwriting

Willard,

The revival of the epistolary genre has been credited to the spread of computer-mediated communication. I am willing to venture that gentle art of hand writing may blossom under the pressures of complusory exams weighted to balance the effects of ghost authors & plagarists. Of course, the exam hall just might be filled with the clickity clack of keyboards. By then the spectre of cyborg audio implants coupled with micro cameras would connect the resourceful cheater to a helping conspirator.

Interesting that many of the same questions that arise in the context of testing by distance education methods also arise in the use of video conferencing for the deposition of evidence in courts of law.

Something tells me this just a little local example of your overarching theme of evidence and its construction.

Though I have no evidence for the following evidence collection mechanism, I for one am beginning to favour the sitting of exams in the middle of the night -- helps clear the mind and train the body for collaboration across all those time zones. *grin*

--
Francois

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Humanist Discussion Group Information at <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/> <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/> =========================================================================