12.0454 WP -> HTML

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:39:19 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Jack Lynch <jlynch@andromeda.rutgers.edu> (25)
Subject: Re: 12.0450 WP->HTML? history syllabi?

[2] From: George Aichele <gaichele@adrian.adrian.edu> (7)
Subject: Re: 12.0450 WP->HTML?

[3] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (13)
Subject: Appleworks -> HTML

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:36:00 +0000
From: Jack Lynch <jlynch@andromeda.rutgers.edu>

Willard McCarty writes:

I've looked at the output of some WP-to-HTML converters but
not been encouraged by the quality of code that I have seen.
I like to produce as readable code as I can, e.g. by using
indenting to denote the levels of nested lists; I haven't
seen any converter that would do that.

I have the same hang-ups, and prefer to do things by hand. But
I've often thought a useful tool would be an HTML "beautifier,"
on the model of the "cb" utility, which cleans up and reformats C
code. Done properly, such a program would give the user plenty
of flexibility: do you want your markup codes consistently upper-
or lowercase; do you want your lists indented; do you want
certain codes to be on their own lines; and so on. They might
even be combined with a "lint"-style program, something that
catches coding problems (tags opened and never closed, invalid
tags, and so on); several such HTML checkers already exist (I'm
fond of weblint), but they'd be especially useful in conjunction
with a beautifier program. A quick search of the phrase "HTML
beautifier" turns up a few hits --

http://www.digital-mines.com/htb/
http://www.btinternet.com/~gellyfish/resources/htbeauty.htm

-- though I've not yet played with them. But if they work,
they'd provide a good platform-independent way to reformat the
often messy HTML produced by the converters (and other human
beings, of course), and give you all the control you want over
the formatting.