12.0456 Fontographer for PC; ipsimobiles or autocynetra!

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:37:53 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Mavis Cournane <cournane@imbolc.ucc.ie> (19)
Subject: Re: 12.0451 medieval Portuguese character-set problems

[2] From: "by way of Humanist <humanist@kcl.ac.uk>" (32)
<cbf@socrates.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Re: 12.0452 octothorpe = make room!

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:37:02 +0000
From: Mavis Cournane <cournane@imbolc.ucc.ie>

> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 12, No. 451.
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
> <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
> <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
>
> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:07:27 +0000
> From: John Dawson <jld1@cam.ac.uk>
> >
> > However for medieval Portuguese she
> > needs tildes over e,i,u,y. She's been in touch with Monotype to try to
> > modify the font, but what they've been able to produce is unsatisfactory;
> > in addition, their licensing terms are quite onerous.
> >
> > Can anyone think of another solution? I will be glad to serve as an
> > intermediary.
>
> Use Fontographer to create your own additional letters. It's very easy.
> But of course you'll probably have to use a Mac to do this ...

No you don't. Fontographer is also available for a PC.

Mavis Cournane

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:37:12 +0000
From: "by way of Humanist <humanist@kcl.ac.uk>" <cbf@socrates.Berkeley.EDU>

Ah, yes. One of my colleagues pointed out years ago that we should either
drive ipsimobiles or autocynetra.

Charles Faulhaber Department of Spanish UC Berkeley, CA 94720-2590
(510) 642-3781 FAX (510) 642-7589 cbf@socrates.berkeley.edu

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 12, No. 452.
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
> <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
> <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
>
> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:08:01 +0000
> From: Francois Crompton-Roberts <F.Crompton-Roberts@qmw.ac.uk>

> > Whilst there seems to be general agreement that octothorp(e) refers to the
> > hash, pound, pound sign, number, number sign, sharp, (garden) fence,
> > crunch, mesh, hex, flash, grid, pig-pen, tictactoe, scratch (mark),
> > (garden) gate, hak, oof, rake, sink, corridor, unequal, punch mark,
> > crosshatch (#) (see http://taro.poi.net/unix.html), there is not
> > overall agreement on how this character came to be termed the octothorp in
> > particular.
>
> It's odd that, with our literary connections, nobody mentionned the
> use of the # sign in proofreading, to indicate that a space is
> needed. I must say that I find the word less than satisfying, but
> then I'm one of the old fogies who dislikes mixed-language word
> formations; I still don't really approve of "television"...
>

> Francois C-R
> F.Crompton-Roberts@qmw.ac.uk

Humanist Discussion Group