12.0368 IT in 21C; copyright; typo

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:28:33 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (273)
Subject: White House Proposal: Information Technology for the
21st Century

[2] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (62)

[3] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (7)
Subject: Re: 12.0367 evil use of e-mail

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:24:30 +0000
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>
Subject: White House Proposal: Information Technology for the 21st Century

January 25, 1998

Although the implications of this proposal are at present unclear on arts
and humanities I.T. applications, I thought I would forward the full text
of the White House announcement of the proposal to increase Information
Technology spending by 28%.

This proposal is in part a response to the report last fall from the
President's Information Technology Advisory Committee.

David Green

> [...]
> In 1998, he called for an "Electronic Bill of Rights" to protect
> personal privacy. Later that year, the Congress passed legislation
> that the Vice President had championed on identity theft and
> children's privacy. The Vice President's leadership was also critical
> in advancing policies to promote electronic commerce, which is
> expected to grow to $1.3 trillion by the year 2003 in the U.S. alone.
> Today, the Vice President is announcing a new $366 million increase
> in long-term information technology research, which will strengthen
> America's position as the global leader in computing and
> communications, help create the industries and the high-tech jobs of
> the 21st century, and accelerate the pace of scientific discovery with
> high-end computers and simulation.
> ###
> Today, Vice President Gore announced that the Administration will
> propose extending the Research and Experimentation tax credit for one
> year, at a cost of $2.4 billion: The R&E credit is currently scheduled
> to expire on June 30, 1999; the Administration's proposal would extend
> it to June 30, 2000.
> The R&E credit helps stimulate additional private sector investment
> in research and development: This incentive provides a 20 percent tax
> credit based on the increase in a firm's research and development.
> The R&E credit encourages technological advancement, leads to higher
> productivity, and helps generate new American jobs:
> - Entirely new industries are created as a result of technological
> innovation. The credit is helpful for R&D-intensive industries
> such as the information, communications, and electronics sector.
> Jobs in the high-tech sector and occupations that use information
> technology pay 60 - 70 percent more than average private sector
> wages. The credit also benefits major industries such as
> chemicals, machinery, and motor vehicles.
> - Most research and development dollars are directly invested in
> the salaries of U.S. employees. The credit is only available for
> research conducted in the United States.
> - Economists estimate that half of U.S. productivity growth stems
> from technological advances.
> Private sector R&D investment also leads to a better quality of life
> for all Americans
> - R&D also leads to innovations such as:
> - New life-saving drugs;
> - A more advanced telecommunications infrastructure, capable of
> transmitting voice, video and high-speed data; and
> - Cleaner and more environmentally-friendly sources of energy.
> ###
>To subscribe to the Benton Communications-Related Headlines,
>send email to: listserv@cdinet.com
>In the body of the message, type only:
>subscribe benton-compolicy YourFirstName YourLastName
>To unsubscribe, send email to:
>In the body of the message, type only:
>signoff benton-compolicy
>If you have any problems with the service, please direct them to

David L. Green
Executive Director
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
202/296-5346 202/872-0884 fax

Subscribe to the NINCH-ANNOUNCE public listserv for news on
networking cultural heritage. Send message "Subscribe NINCH-Announce
Your Name" to <listproc@cni.org>.

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:24:42 +0000
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>

January 26, 1999

Thursday, February 11 (12:30-2pm): Los Angeles Convention Center

The Copyright/Fair Use Town Meetings resume with the first of the 1999
series taking the form of a series of questions-and-answers on the
application of copyright law to teaching, scholarship and publishing. The
impact of the recent spate of copyright-related legislation will sure to be
a major element of this session.

David Green