12.0368 IT in 21C; copyright; typo

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:28:33 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (273)
Subject: White House Proposal: Information Technology for the
21st Century

[2] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (62)
Subject: COPYRIGHT TOWN MEETINGS RESUME WITH CAA MEETING

[3] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (7)
Subject: Re: 12.0367 evil use of e-mail

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:24:30 +0000
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>
Subject: White House Proposal: Information Technology for the 21st Century

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
January 25, 1998

WHITE HOUSE PROPOSES 28 PERCENT INCREASE IN I.T. RESEARCH

Although the implications of this proposal are at present unclear on arts
and humanities I.T. applications, I thought I would forward the full text
of the White House announcement of the proposal to increase Information
Technology spending by 28%.

This proposal is in part a response to the report last fall from the
President's Information Technology Advisory Committee.

David Green
===========

>Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:10:37 -0500
>> <BENTON-COMPOLICY@CDINET.COM>
>From: Kevin Taglang <kevint@BENTON.ORG>
>>
>January 24, 1999
>
>INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY FOR THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY: A BOLD
>INVESTMENT IN AMERICA'S FUTURE
>
>THE WHITE HOUSE
>
> Office of the Vice President
>For Immediate Release Contact:
>Sunday, January 24, 1999 202/456-7035
>
> INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY FOR THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY:
> A BOLD INVESTMENT IN AMERICA'S FUTURE
>
> As part of their FY2000 budget, President Clinton and Vice President
> Gore are proposing a $366 million, 28 percent increase in the
> government's investment in information technology research.
>
> This initiative, known as IT2 (Information Technology for the
> Twenty-First Century), will support three kinds of activities:
>
> - Long-term information technology research that will lead to
> fundamental advances in computing and communications, in the same
> way that government investment beginning in the 1960's led to
> today's Internet;
>
> - Advanced computing for science, engineering and the Nation that
> will lead to breakthroughs such as reducing the time required to
> develop life-saving drugs; designing cleaner, more efficient
> engines; and more accurately predicting tornadoes; and
>
> - Research on the economic and social implications of the
> Information Revolution, and efforts to help train additional IT
> workers at our universities.
>
> The potential benefits of IT2 are compelling:
>
> - The results of past government research (e.g. the Internet, the
> first graphical Web browser, advanced microprocessors) have
> helped strengthen American leadership in the IT industry, which
> now accounts for 1/3 of U.S. economic growth and employs 7.4
> million Americans at wages that are more than 60 percent higher
> than the private sector average. All sectors of the U.S. economy
> are using IT to compete and win in global markets, and
> business-to-business electronic commerce in the U.S. alone is
> projected to grow to $1.3 trillion by 2003.
>
> - Information technology is changing the way we live, work, learn,
> and communicate with each other. Advances in IT can improve the
> way we educate our children, allow people with disabilities to
> lead more independent lives, and improve the quality of health
> care for rural Americans through telemedicine. U.S. leadership
> in IT is also essential for our national security.
>

> -more-
>
> - Information technology will also lead to a "golden age" of
> science and engineering. Advances in supercomputers, simulation
> and networks are creating a new window into the natural world --
> making IT as valuable as theory and experimentation as a tool for
> scientific discovery. With computers can make trillions of
> calculations in a second, scientists and engineers will be able
> to better predict the impact of climate change, design more
> [...]

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
www-ninch.cni.org
david@cni.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0884 fax

Subscribe to the NINCH-ANNOUNCE public listserv for news on
networking cultural heritage. Send message "Subscribe NINCH-Announce
Your Name" to <listproc@cni.org>.