12.0365 teaching on WWW

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:03:00 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Garvin Tate <gltate@ix.netcom.com> (5)
Subject: Re: 12.0360 teaching on WWW?

[2] From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk> (33)

[3] From: Diane Harley <dianeh@uclink4.Berkeley.EDU> (22)

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:56:17 +0000
From: Garvin Tate <gltate@ix.netcom.com>

We have a good example of using interactive Web resources
for teaching and learning at www.humanities-interactive.org .
This project is sponsored by the Texas Council for the Humanities
and funded in part by NEH.

Garvin Tate
Digital Arts Consulting

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:57:38 +0000
From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk>

Dear Jan Rybicki and fellow humanists
Let me blow my own trumpet a bit. Here at CSAC we are producing a large
amount of teaching material that is distributed via WWW.

Among this are online archives of fieldnotes and the monographs based on them
http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/TVillage/

As part of the Experience Rich Anthropology project
we have related chains of articles and some field data which can be
analysed in the light of those arguments
http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/ERA/Ancestors

there is an interactive mambila "riddle machine" in which you can partially
expereince the delights of Mambila riddles (and read ana rticle about
african riddling) - soon to have sound files added (no frames works best at
present)

http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/ERA/Riddle/riddle.html

and most recently there is the online Mambila Spider divination in which
you can ask hard and obscure questions to a java based simulation of this
system as well as reading articles about its sociological and conceptual
importance!
http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/ERA/Divination/

a catalogue of other material - such as the history of display at the Pitt
Rivers Museum, Oxford - can be found at
http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/ERA/pub_cat.html

best wishes
david

Dr David Zeitlyn,
Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology,
Centre for Social Anthropology and Computing,
Department of Anthropology,
Eliot College, The University of Kent,
Canterbury,
CT2 7NS, UK.
Tel. (44) 1227 764000 -Extn 3360 (or 823360 direct)
Fax (44) 1227 827289
http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/dz/