12.0128 progress is our most important product

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:51:09 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:07:56 +0100
From: "J. McCarty" <fsjjm@aurora.alaska.edu>
Subject: History of Medicine (fwd)

[The following view of the progress of medical science, sent to me by my
daughter, is a useful corrective to the promotional view. Bruno Latour, in
his review article "Evolution, not revolution: The dangers of over-hyping
the influence of the computer" (TLS 4970 3 July p. 5) takes much the same
view of Brian Winston's book, Media, technology and society. More about
that in a subsequent issue of Humanist, however. --WM]

> The History of Medicine -
>
>2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root
>
>1000 A.D. - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.
>
>1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.
>
>1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.
>
>1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.
>
>2000 A.D. - That antibiotic doesn't work anymore. Here, eat this root.

Humanist Discussion Group