12.0125 call for reviewers; conferences

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:50:36 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: PMC <pmc@JEFFERSON.VILLAGE.VIRGINIA.EDU> (182)
Subject: Call for Reviewers

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (50)
Subject: ECAI-98 #10: SECOND CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

[3] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (166)
Subject: MIND-III: SPATIAL COGNITION, DUBLIN, IRELAND, AUG 17-
19

[4] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (331)
Subject: NLP+IA 98 /TAL+AI 98 Registration Info ! NEW !

Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 10:09:10 +0100
From: PMC <pmc@JEFFERSON.VILLAGE.VIRGINIA.EDU>

PMC CALL FOR REVIEWS -- DEADLINE AUGUST 5

------> REPLY TO: p-geyh@nwu.edu

_Postmodern Culture_ is looking for reviews of recent books, films,
CDs, plays, TV shows, concerts, sporting events, performances,
exhibitions, conferences and conventions, happenings, and so forth,
for the September 1998 issue. Reviews should be approximately 2000-3500
words long, and should follow the journal's format guidelines below.

The deadline for submissions is August 5. A selection will be made at
that time. All correspondence will be answered and all submissions
will be given careful consideration.

Send reviews and queries to Paula Geyh, the review editor at
p-geyh@nwu.edu, not to the _PMC_ offices. If e-mailing reviews, make
sure the document is not encoded, and that it has been stripped of all
word-processing codes (i.e, saved as ASCII or DOS text).

Submissions can also be sent on floppy disk to Paula Geyh at the
Department of English, Faner Hall, Southern Illinois University,
Carbondale, IL 62901.

All submissions should follow the format guidelines detailed below.

FORMAT GUIDELINES FOR _PMC_ REVIEWS

You can save us a good deal of work by following these guidelines:

Reviews should generally run between 2000 and 3500 words, or about
8-14 ordinary manuscript pages.

Set margins to half-inch left, two-inch right, and set your font
to Courier 10cpi (or any 10cpi, non-proportional font). This is very
important, as it prevents too many characters on a line.

Put a title at the top of the first page, and under it your name,
institutional affiliation, email address, and mailing address.
Center these lines.

Number all paragraphs of your text with bracketed numbers. These
bracketed numbers should be margin-released into the left-hand
margin (this will place them at the 0" spot on the line).

Indent (to 1") the first line of each pargraph and all lines of set-
off quotations.

Single-space the document throughout.

Use _this_ for underlining titles, *this* for bold print or
emphasis, %this% for foreign words, and ^this^ for superscript.

Footnotes, if any, should follow MLA format.

Page references in the text, if any, should not be preceded by p.,
pp., or any other notation; use just the page number itself.

-------------------
We'd be particularly interested in seeing reviews of the
following books:

Altshuler, Bruce. _The Avant-Garde in Exhibition: New Art in the 20th
Century_. (Berkeley: U of California P, 1998).

Amato, Joe. _Bookend: Anatomies of a Virtual Self_. (Binghamton:
SUNY P, 1997).

Aronowitz, Stanley. _Post-Work: The Wages of Cybernation_. (New
York: Routledge: 1997).

Bacchilega, Cristina. _Postmodern Fairy Tales: Gender and Narrative
Strategies_. (Philadelphia: U of P Press, 1997).

Biale, David, Michael Galchinsky, and Susannah Heschel.
_Insider/Outsider: American Jews and Multiculturalism._ (Berkeley,
U of California P, 1998).

Bornstein, Kate. _My Gender Workbook_. (New York: Routledge,
1998).

Brooks, Michael W. _Subway City: Riding the Trains, Reading New
York_. (New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1998).

Butler, Judith. _The Psychic Life of Power: Theories in Subjection_.
(Stanford: Stanford UP, 1997).

Chambers, Ross. _Facing It: AIDS Diaries and the Death of the
Author_. (Ann Arbor: U of Michigan P, 1998).

Chaucer, Lynn S. _Reconcilable Differences: Confronting Beauty,
Pornography, and the Future of Feminism_. (Berkeley, U of California
P, 1998).

Cixous, Helene. _Helene Cixous: Rootprints. Memory and Life
Writing_. (New York, Routledge, 1997).

Davies, Jude and Carol R. Smith. _Gender, Ethnicity, and Sexuality in
Contemporary American Film_. (Keele UP, 1998).

Dellamora, Richard and Daniel Fischlin, eds. _The Work of Opera:
Genre, Nationhood, and Sexual Difference_. (New York: Columbia UP,
1997).

Deleuze, Gilles. _Negotiations 1972-1990_. (New York: Columbia UP,
1997).

Dixon, Joan Broadhurst and Eric Cassidy, eds. _Virtual Futures_.
(New York: Routledge, 1998).

Eaglestone, Robert. _Ethical Criticism: Reading After Levinas_.
(New York: Columbia UP, 1998).

French, Patrick and Roland-Francois Lack, eds. _The Tel Quel Reader_.
(New York: Routledge, 1998).

Garber, Marjorie. _Symptoms of Culture_. (New York: Routledge,
1998).

Golding, Sue. _The Eight Technologies of Otherness_. (New York:
Routledge, 1997).

Haaken, Janice. _Pillar of Salt: Gender, Memory, and the Perils of
Looking Back_. (New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1998).

Haraway, Donna J. _Modest_Witness@Second Millenium.FemaleMan
_Meets_OncoMouse: Feminism and Technoscience_. (New York:
Routledge, 1997).

Hass, Kristin Ann. _Carried to the Wall: American Memory and The
Vietnam Veterans Memorial_. (Berkeley: U of California P, 1998).

Heywood, Leslie. _Bodymakers: A Cultural Anatomy of Women's Body
Building_. (New Brunswick: Rutgers UP 1998).

Holland, Patrick and Graham Huggan. _Tourists with Typewriters:
Critical Reflections on Contemporary Travel Writing_. (Ann Arbor: U
of Michigan P, 1998).

hooks, bell. _Reel to Real: Race, Sex, and Class at the Movies_.
(New York: Routledge, 1997).

Horton, Andrew and Stuart Y. McDougal, eds. _Play It Again, Sam:
Retakes on Remakes_. (Berkeley, U of California P, 1998).

Judovitz, Dalia. _Unpacking Duchamp: Art in Transit_. (Berkeley: U
of California P, 1998).

Kirby, Vicki. _Telling Flesh: The Substance of the Corporeal_. (New
York: Routledge, 1997).

Kondo, Dorinne. _About Face: Performing Race in Fashion and
Theater_. (New York: Routledge, 1997).

Kristeva, Julia. _Time and Sense: Proust and the Experience of
Literature). (New York: Columbia UP, 1998).

---. _New Maladies of the Soul_. (New York: Columbia UP, 1997).

Kroker, Arthur and Marilouise Kroker, eds. _Digital Delirium_. (New
York: St. Martin's P, 1997).

Leabhart, Thomas. _Modern and Postmodern Mime_. (New York: St.
Martin's Press, 1997).

Levinson, Paul. _The Soft Edge: A Natural History and Future of the
Information Revolution_. (New York: Routledge, 1997).

Lury, Cecilia. _Prosthetic Culture_. (New York: Routledge, 1997).

Masten, Jeffrey, Peter Stallybrass, and Nancy J. Vickers, eds.
_Language Machines: Technologies of Literary and Cultural
Production_. (New York: Routledge, 1998).

Merrell, Floyd. _Sensing Semiosis: Toward the Possibility of
Complementary Cultural "logics"_. (New York: St. Martin's Press,
1998).

Mills, Stephen F. _The American Landscape_. (Keele UP, 1998).

Moore, Pamela L., ed. _Building Bodies_. (New Brunswick: Rutgers
UP, 1998).

Nadel, Alan. _Flatlining on the Field of Dreams_. (New Brunswick:
Rutgers UP, 1998).

Nye, David E. _Narratives and Spaces: Technology and the
Construction of American Culture_. (New York: Columbia UP 1998).

Pearson, Keith Ansell. _Viroid Life: Perspectives on Nietzsche and
the Transhuman Condition_. (New York: Routledge, 1997).

---, ed. _Deleuze and Philosophy: The Difference Engineer_. (New
York: Routledge, 1997).

Perry, Nicholas. _Hyperreality_. (New York: Routledge, 1998).

Raskin, Jonah. _For the Hell of It: The Life and Times of Abbie
Hoffman_. (Berkeley, U of California P, 1998).

Robertson, Jennifer. _Takarazuka: Sexual Politics and Popular
Culture in Modern Japan._ (Berkeley, U of California P, 1998).

Rooks, Noliwe M. _Hair Raising: Beauty, Culture, and African
American Women_. (New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1997).

Rosenfeld, Michel and Andrew Arato. _Habermas on Law and Democracy_.
(Berkeley, U of California P, 1998).

Rotella, Carlo. _October Cities: The Redevelopment of Urban
Literature_. (Berkeley, U of California P, 1998).

Rothenberg, Jerome and Pierre Joris, eds. _Poems for the Millennium_
V. 2: From Postwar to Millennium. (Berkeley, U of California P,
1998).

Roy, Parama. _Indian Traffic: Identities in Question in Colonial and
Postcolonial India). (Berkeley, U of California P, 1998).

Sandler, Kevin S., ed. _Reading the Rabbit: Explorations in Warner
Bros. Animation_. (New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1998).

Schanke, Robert A. and Kim Marra, eds. _Passing Performances: Queer
Readings of Leading Players in American Theater History_. Ann Arbor:
U of Michigan P, 1998).

Schroeder, Jeanne L. _The Vestal and the Fasces: Hegel, Lacan,
Property, and the Feminine_. (Berkeley: U of California P, 1998).

Sheppard, Darren, Simon Sparks, and Colin Thomas, eds. _On Jean-Luc
Nancy_. (New York; Routledge, 1997).

Shildrick, Margrit. _Leaky Bodies and Boundaries: Feminism,
Postmodernism and Bioethics_. (New York: Routledge, 1997).

Showalter, Elaine. _Hystories: Hysterical Epidemics and Modern
Media_. (New York: Columbia UP, 1998).

Staples, William G. _The Culture of Surveillance: Discipline and
Social Control in the United States_. (New York: St. Martin's Press,
1997).

Taussig, Michael. _The Magic of the State_. (New York: Routledge,
1997).

Taylor, Mark C. _Hiding_. (Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1997).

Taylor, Timothy D. _Global Pop: World Music, World Markets_. (New
York: Routledge, 1997).

Terry, Jennifer and Melodie Calvert, eds. _Processed Lives: Gender
and Technology in Everyday Life_. (New York: Routledge, 1997).

Ussher, Jane M. _Fantasies of Femininity: Reframing the Boundaries of
Sex_. (New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1998).

Ward, Brian. _Just My Soul Responding: Rhythm and Blues, Black
Consciousness, and Race Relations_. (Berkeley: U of California P,
1998).

Watkins, S. Craig. _Representing: Hip Hop Culture, and the
Production of Black Cinema_. (Chicago, U of Chicago P, 1998).

Werbner, Pnina and Tariq Mdood, eds. _Debating Cultural Hybridity:
Multi-Cultural Identities and the Politics of Anti-Racism_. (New
York: St. Martin's P, 1997).

Whitely, Sheila, ed. _Sexing the Groove: Sexualities and Identities
in Popular Music_. (New York: Routledge, 1997).