12.0054 on WWW: VRoma, JEP, Hellinomnimon

Mon, 1 Jun 1998 22:56:49 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (37)
Subject: VROMA -- VIRTUAL COMMUNITY FOR CLASSICS STUDY

[2] From: Eve Trager <etrager@umich.edu> (80)
Subject: The latest issue of The Journal of Electronic
Publishing

[3] From: Han Baltussen <Han.Baltussen@kcl.ac.uk> (46)
Subject: THE PROJECT HELLINOMNIMON (fwd)

Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 16:38:17 -0500
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
May 29, 1998

VROMA -- VIRTUAL COMMUNITY FOR CLASSICS STUDY
<http://vroma.rhodes.edu/>

>From: Carolyn Kotlas <carolyn_kotlas@unc.edu>
>To: infobits@unc.edu
>>
>IAT INFOBITS May 1998 No. 59 ISSN 1071-5223
>
>About INFOBITS
>
>INFOBITS is an electronic service of the Institute for Academic
>Technology's Information Resources Group. Each month we monitor and
>select from a number of information technology and instruction
>technology sources that come to our attention and provide brief notes
>for electronic dissemination to educators.

>>SNIP

VROMA -- VIRTUAL COMMUNITY FOR CLASSICS STUDY

The VRoma Project: A Virtual Community for Teaching and Learning
Classics is an online "place," modeled upon the ancient city of Rome,
where students and instructors can interact live, hold courses and
lectures, and share resources for the study of the ancient world. The
two-year project, funded by a $190,000 grant from the Teaching with
Technology Program of the National Endowment for the Humanities, seeks
to address two related issues: "to improve and expand the teaching of
classical languages and cultures through technology-assisted
collaboration between and among undergraduate and secondary school
Classics programs; and to enhance students' learning of these topics
through the excitement, immediacy, and 'virtual re-creation of lost
contexts' that modern technology can expedite."

Project resources include texts, commentaries, images, maps, and
teaching materials. Participants can explore a virtual city set in 150
A.D. through Vroma's MOO (an object oriented MUD, a type of
multi-player interactive game environment). The project also supports
two intensive two-week summer workshop involving college and high
school Classics faculty. The second workshop will be held July 14-25,
1998, at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

For more information, link to Vroma at http://vroma.rhodes.edu/