12.0038 new on WWW: Perseus Greek sculpture catalogue

Thu, 21 May 1998 19:31:30 +0100 (BST)

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu>
Subject: New Greek Sculpture Materials on the Web

>> From: Gregory Crane <gcrane@medusa.perseus.tufts.edu>

We are pleased to announce the publication of a revised catalogue of Greek
sculpture on the Perseus Project web site (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/).
The catalogue, available at
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/browser?object=sculpture/, contains
588 entries covering major sculptural works in a variety of media, most
from the archaic and classical periods. While the catalogue includes new
entries on 222 objects, many entries from our pre-existing catalogue have
been revised and expanded, and new bibliographical references have been
added.

The format of the sculpture catalogue has been entirely redesigned to bring
the visitor's attention to distinctions between copies and originals, as
well as single sculptures and groups, and related fragments in separate
collections. Note, for example, that the entry for the "Rampin Rider"
(http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/sculptureindex?lookup=Rampin+Rider)
links to separate entries for the body in Athens
(http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/sculptureindex?lookup=Athens,+Acropoli
s+59
0), and the head in Paris
(http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/sculptureindex?lookup=Louvre+Ma+3104),
bot
h of which, in turn, provide links to the main entry. Known findspots,
functions, classes of monuments, sculptural techniques, and documentary
evidence have also been added to the range of information provided for
individual objects.

The Greek sculpture catalogue is fully interconnected with the Perseus
digital library and objects may be accessed through Perseus' keyword and
English index searches. With the browser
(http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/browser?object=sculpture) one may
also search for objects organized by collection, context, period, region,
class, material, scale, sculptor and associated building.

Objects from a 28 museums in Athens, Berlin, Delphi, London, New York, and
elsewhere are now documented in the Greek sculpture catalogue on the
Perseus Project. We are particularly glad to report that images of objects
from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston are now available to all users of the
Perseus Project's web site. Illustrated catalogue entries on almost 50
sculptures from the Classical galleries of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston,
may be accessed from the following url:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/browser?object=Sculpture&field=Collecti
on&v
alue=Boston,+Museum+of+Fine+Arts/

Look for announcements regarding the availability of other images in the
near future.

The new catalogue entries and revisions have been prepared by Dr. Amy C.
Smith, our Art and Archaeology Editor. We are also glad to acknowledge the
help of our Sculpture Advisory Board members: Professors Mark D. Fullerton
(Ohio State University), Carol L. Lawton (Lawrence University), and Andrew
Stewart (University of California, Berkeley). Funding has been generously
provided by the Getty Grant Program (http://www.getty.edu/grant/index.html).

Gregory Crane
Associate Professor of Classics
Editor-in-Chief, Perseus Project