11.0496 Seminar at King's; RLG workshop

Wed, 7 Jan 1998 08:53:00 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (48)
Subject: Seminar at King's College London

[2] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (85)
Subject: MANAGING DIGITAL IMAGE PROJECTS: AN RLG WORKSHOP

Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 08:44:26 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

PLEASE CIRCULATE
----------------

King's College London
Seminar in Humanities Computing
Spring term 1998

FRIDAY 16 JANUARY (1.00-1.55pm)
Tony McEnery (Linguistics, Lancashire)
Who do the British think they are?
Room 2B13, 2nd Basement, Strand Building

ABSTRACT

Collocations have begun to achieve increasing attention in both corpus
linguistics and computational linguistics. Studies have shown that rather
loose groupings of words are clearly observable in texts which seem to
reflect both norms of usage and cultural attitudes. In short there seems to
be a variety of syntactic, semantic and pragmatic references that we can
observe in text without input from native speakers. In this talk I want to
review what work has been undertaken to date in corpus and computational
linguistics on collocation. With this done, I want to examine how credible
both human and machine ratings of collocates are by looking at a series of
examples drawn from the British National Corpus. Examples which reveal the
attitude of the British to themselves and to others.

--------------------
The following Seminars are confirmed for this term. Additional details will
be published for each closer to the event.

THURSDAY 12 FEBRUARY (One-day colloquium)
Gregory Crane (Tufts), Charles Crowther (Oxford), James O'Donnell
(Pennsylvania), Don Fowler (Oxford), Geoffrey Waywell (King's College
London and Institute for Classical Studies)
Computing in Classical Studies
Institute of Classical Studies, Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU

FRIDAY 20 MARCH (1.00-1.55pm)
Derek Law (Information Services and Systems, King's College London)
Treasure chest or Pandora's box: unleashing the electronic library
Committee Room

WEDNESDAY 6 MAY (One-day colloquium)
Barry Ife (King's College London), Stanley Katz (Princeton), John Laver
(Edinburgh and British Academy) and Antonio Zampolli (Pisa)
Computing in the Academy, focusing on the academic recognition of
computing-related scholarly work in the humanities.
Room TBA

All events are held at King's College London, Strand campus, unless
otherwise noted. For more information, contact the undersigned.

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>