11.0478 perl is what you want

Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:08:42 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:56:18 -0500 (EST)
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@parallel.park.uga.edu>
Subject: C/C++, Perl

>> From: "Gregory J. Murphy" <rejek@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>

Two correspondents asked about books on C/C++ and Perl aimed at an
audience of humanists, in the vein of Susan Hockey's _Snobol Programming
for the Humanities_.

Ms. Hockey's book is essentially about using Snobol to do text processing,
which is exactly what Perl was developed for. If you want to learn how to
extract word/phrase patterns, filter text, build concordances, etc., all
you need to know is basic Perl - so get a basic book. I highly recommend
anything published by O'Reilly; if you are new to programming, get
_Learning Perl_.

Text processing with C/C++ can be extraordinarily tedious, especially if
the platform you are using doesn't provide libraries of functions for
doing regular expression pattern matching. Unless speed and efficiency of
execution are among your primary goals, I advise sticking with Perl.

Or doesn't anybody use Snobol/Spitbol anymore?

Gregory Murphy, Text Systems Manager
CETH (The Center for Electronic Texts in the Humanities)
W^3="http://www.princeton.edu/~gjmurphy"

Humanist Discussion Group