11.0446 decorum for calls?

Tue, 9 Dec 1997 20:32:16 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 23:13:27 +0000 (GMT)
From: Tim Reuter <T.Reuter@soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 11.0444 calls for papers

Way back in the early days of Humanist, its wise editor had a policy
that people couldn't waste our time and bandwidth by sending out
conference announcements with hundreds of lines giving the names of
every member of their organising committee and all the local hotels'
addresses; you got a screenful to say where the info was for those who
wanted it. Any chance of a revival of this enlightened policy?

Tim Reuter, University of Southampton

-----
Tim Reuter, above, feels wise nostalgia for the days when conference calls
were abbreviated. The fact that in the age of the Web we still get ones
advertising not only everyone remotely associated with the event, but also
the cost of the T-shirts, making crude attempts to reproduce a fill-in
form, I also find unworthy. I confess to letting too many long conference
notices pass through to you and can offer as explanation only my crowded
schedule. If, however, it is the concensus of the membership that such
things should be truncated or even sent into quiet oblivion, I am more
than willing to consider instituting the policy.

Your advice please.

WM

Humanist Discussion Group