11.0448 ACLS & IATH publications

Tue, 9 Dec 1997 20:29:36 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (32)
Subject: ACLS publications

[2] From: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu> (67)
Subject: IATH Research Reports (double issue)

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 08:20:05 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

It has been said, on Humanist at least, that electronic seminars have some
of the characteristics of an oral culture, in particular that although
everything we natter on about is recorded and available, in fact we keep our
memory refreshed by repeating the contents we particularly value. In the
early days of Humanist there were not a few complaints from those with
better memories about people repeating themselves, and newcomers asking the
same fool questions that had already been asked and answered. These
complaints seem to have died away. I like to think that this is because
we've simply accepted the fact that our communal memory is maintained in
repetition. Those who like to observe what's happening may value the
phenomenon, as it marks what currently needs repeating.

Quite a long prefix for yet another such repetition!

I am reminded by a chance visit to the site of the American Council of
Learned Societies, of which Humanist is an affiliated publication, that the
ACLS's other publications are increasingly appearing online. See
<http://www.acls.org/pub-list.htm>. In addition to those that directly
concern or address computing, I note that the Charles Homer Haskins
lectures, entitled "A Life of Learning", are now becoming available. See
in particular the latest one, by Natalie Zemon Davis. One needs reminding
that learning constitutes a wonderful, privileged life, or more
accurately, I hope, one needs the occasional sign that others still live
who understand the wonder and the importance of this privilege. Daily life
is quite a carborundum*, no? In any case, enjoy Davis' inspirational
account of her life.

Yours,
WM

*"A compound of carbon and silicon, SiC, a very hard crystalline substance,
used either as a powder or in blocks for polishing and scouring, for
grinding tools and as a refractory lining in furnaces" (OED s.v.)

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>