11.0311 scanning Greek

Wed, 1 Oct 1997 19:25:39 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: orlandi@rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it (19)
Subject: Re: 11.0304 capturing Greek?

[2] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU> (7)
Subject: scanning Greek

[3] From: Nikos Goulandris <Nikos.Goulandris@ens.fr> (34)

Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:52:00 +0100 (BST)
From: orlandi@rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it

> From: "James W. Johnston" <johnston@wordcruncher.com>
>
> Has anyone had experience having Greek either scanned (not much hope here
> I fear) or keyed in?

I answer publicly to this (in my view strange) request, because
I see that such questions come out from time to time, and I
hope that my answer may be useful to more than one person.

There is at least one very good OCR for (also) non-latin
alphabets: the OPTOPUS by Makrolog (Wiesbaden). We in Rome
regularly scan Greek and Coptic (!), and the only problems
arise, as with all OCRs, from the quality of the original,
never from the fonts.

Saluti!

Tito Orlandi orlandi@rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it
CISADU - Fac. di Lettere Tel. 39.6.4991-3936
P.zale Aldo Moro, 5 Fax 39.6.4991-3945
00185 Roma http://rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it/~orlandi

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 97 08:33:16 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU>

I had great success training the old Kurzweil 400 (?) to do both Greek and
Hebrew. I am sure that such programs as OmniPage Pro (Caere) could be
trained in the same way, but with somewhat more difficulty. You could call
Caere and ask them; they may already have a training set available for
Greek. If not, someone ought to tell them to work on it. We were even able
to scan the various accented characters as characters and then global them.
Jim Marchand.

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 17:23:08 +0100 (MET)
From: Nikos Goulandris <Nikos.Goulandris@ens.fr>

>Has anyone had experience having Greek either scanned
>(not much hope here I fear) or keyed in?

If you are on PCs try to get some information on the *Anagostes* (=The
Reader) scanning software at: http://www.hol.gr/business/ideatech. I have
not seen it myself but people tell me it is reasonably efficient.

Nikos Goulandris

Humanist Discussion Group