11.0194 metaphors

Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:32:49 +0100 (BST)

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 08:43:35 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: metaphors

Many years ago Heinz von Foerster warned us about the metaphors we use in
speaking of information, data, knowledge. Have you noticed that the borders
(if there ever were any) between these areas is blurring? Have you noticed
the number of new metaphors? We now have data warehouses, data marts, data
archaeology, data hygiene, data packaging, data mining, data migration,
information brokering, knowledge workers, data clearinghouse, knowledge
representation, etc., all terms for library, information storage and
retrieval (to which Heinz objected), bibliography, cleanup, etc. Perhaps I
could consider myself a data mole (you heard it here first).
Jim Marchand.

Humanist Discussion Group