11.0014 online happenings

Fri, 9 May 1997 21:01:08 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (52)
Subject: WELL

[2] From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@chass.utoronto.ca> (43)
Subject: Re: 11.0007 online

Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 20:32:00 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

In the May edition of Wired magazine is a fascinating account of the WELL
(Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link), in Katie Hafner, "The Epic Saga of The Well:
The World's Most Influential Online Community". According to a notice on the
corresponding Web page, <http://wwww.wired.com/wired/5.05/well/>, the
full-text of this article will be available 20 May. Fascinating reading.

The WELL was the creation (in 1985, two years before Humanist) of two
visionaries, Larry Brilliant and Stuart Brand, the fons et origo of The
Whole Earth Catalog and similar works. Very Californian, and specifically
San Franciscan. What's most remarkable about the WELL, I suppose, is the
degree of emotional and imaginative intensity and commitment it evoked. "The
Well is, after all, a boiled-down, concentrated essence of what people love
and hate about the Net: community and intelligent discourse on the one hand,
wackos, poseurs, and flamers on the other.... [E]ven if The Well itself
should disappear, its mystique will continue to exist in the minds of people
searching for a reason to venture into cyberspace. Forty years from now, The
Well may be remembered only dimly, or not at all. But it will have left
behind a lasting imprint on our culture, as we will be left with the lush
promises it whispered into our ear."

It hardly reached us in Toronto, which is not all that far from the U.S., or
at least it hardly reached me, and I wonder if the imprint Hafner talks
about isn't rather hard to see beyond the borders of that great country. The
glimpse of Eden (if I may wax biblically mythological for a moment) is
certainly something we all can understand, and have seen in various ways,
even on Humanist, in these early days of computer-mediated communication. I
cannot help but wonder if, as in so many other things, this most important
glimpse will not get increasingly harder to discern as our medium enters
every more deeply into ordinary life. The trick is, I suppose, not to forget.

.... Such is our hold on the future --
Eight days, eight years, or eight decades, a handful
of air accumulating in the palm,
grasped from the window of a moving car,
is all we have, a stretch of time we cram
into our hungry mouths as if it were
something solid:
as if enough of it could be good food... (Alastair Elliot, "Looking Out")

Electronic communications are not quite yet the stuff of everyone's daily
life, however, and certainly not in every household in my neighbourhood.
Just today I was discussing with a colleague the rather odd sensation I have
had repeatedly, here and in Toronto, after spending early mornings online,
writing to friends and colleagues around the world, fiddling with the Web,
and so forth, suddenly to emerge onto the streets of my city like a being
from another world, among people who have no idea whatever where I've been,
though virtually, and what I've been doing. Did people feel like this in the
early days of the telephone? And what now do we make of the rage for the
cellular phone, which in London has reached the proportions of a plague,
turning us all into performers and evesdroppers.

Comments?

WM
Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/ruhc/wlm/