10.4 citing Web documents

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 7 May 1996 19:32:00 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@utoronto.ca> (31)
Subject: impermanence

[2] From: "Peter Graham, RUL" <psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu> (10)
Subject: Re: 9.774 citing Web documents

[3] From: Andrew Burday <andy@dep.philo.mcgill.ca> (46)

Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 21:36:18 -0400
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@utoronto.ca>

Bob Amsler, in Humanist 9.774, puts his virtual finger on a stubborn reality
of electronic publication: "The basic philosophical problem of citing the
Web is that it is a fundamentally transitory reference." Are we trying our
best to ignore this problem because we STILL cannot quite see that the Web
is not paper and print? that it has its own intrinsic tendencies which we
are silly, or worse, to resist?

Let me put the matter another way. Consider all the scholarship we publish
that has value for the moment, for six months, a year, five years, but that
we would be well rid of. (I am assuming, for purposes of argument, that
everything which is published has value for some amount of time, however
small.) Would this kind not be better published in "a fundamentally
transitory" medium?

Perhaps a more interesting question concerns the effects rapid, transitory
publication might have on the humanities. What might happen if our research
were more conversational, as in the social sciences? How might the academic
professions be affected if paper-publication were reserved for material
chosen on the basis of its long-term interest?

Some years ago I was fortunate to hear a Stanford economist (whose name,
alas, I have forgotten) brilliantly address the crisis in scholarly
publishing. In essence what he pointed out was that scholarly publishing, as
we know it, is an integral part of the academic world, that it cannot simply
be changed without profound consequences, and that changes are not going to
be easy because the system within which this publishing is integral will
resist our efforts. Since our livelihoods and way of life depend on this
integral system, should we not be examining the big picture? It seems to me
that we must understand the sociology and philosophy of knowledge in order
to know what to do with the new medium. Or we can just let others, such as
our friends in the infotainment industry, make the decisions for us.

Comments?

WM

Willard McCarty, Univ. of Toronto || Willard.McCarty@utoronto.ca
http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~mccarty/wlm/