9.580 online publication

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 22:46:51 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Andrew Armour <armour@pncl.co.uk> (23)
Subject: Re: 9.572 online & electronic publication

> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 09:22:58 -0500
> From: ari kambouris <aristotl@oeonline.com>
> Subject: Re: 9.564 online & electronic publication
>
>I find the key phrase here to be the last. The possibility of being
>"on-line" simply does not exist in all the different institutions where
>research is taking place. Of the 15 archaeological research institutes in
>Athens, for example, only 5 were on-line as of the beginning of this year.

Try as I may, I find it hard to believe that the "possibility of being
'on-line' simply does not exist." These institutions must be very remote (in
Athens?) not to have a phone line. And while a full SLIP/PPP connection -
often with free Web publishing space - may not yet be as cheap as it is in,
say, England (now as low as 100 pounds/year), they can hardly afford to
remain in electronic isolation from the global academic community.
Subscription to a CD-ROM-based dissertation distribution service - with the
inevitable delay in accessing "new and innovative research" - would
presumably be more expensive, especially when one considers the relatively
short shelf-life of the physical medium and of the CD-ROM format itself.

Andrew Armour
Keio University

At 05:09 PM 2/15/96 -0500, Willard wrote:
>What has happened to those once vocal Brits? There was a time
>when the quacking from across the pond was, well, hard to ignore.

Quack.