9.475 nouns & adjectives? book?

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 22:18:01 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@utoronto.ca> (12)
Subject: a question of grammar?

[2] From: Shlomo Sela <shlomo@erez.cc.biu.ac.il> (6)
Subject: Re: 9.324 on Abu Mashar Al-Qiranat

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 09:16:37 -0500
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@phoenix.princeton.edu>

The following is a rather specialized matter, but I am hoping that some
members of Humanist will take sufficient interest in it to shed some badly
needed light on a research problem that vexes me continuously.

At issue is the relationship between adjectives and nouns in classical
Latin. In what sense can we say that an adjective standing alone and taking
the role of a substantive is nevertheless an adjective, and so subordinate
to some missing noun? When a noun is followed by a (modifying) adjective,
e.g. pater ignarus, do we read this as "[the] ignorant father" or "[the]
father [the] ignorant [one]"? How useful is it to maintain the distinction
when one is attempting to meet the language on its own ground?

WM