9.235 alternative for font display

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 18:30:27 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: David Bantz <DBantz@UWLaX.edu> (27)
Subject: Alternative re: phonetics/fonts in WWW

You might want to consider exporting formatted/font-rich files into pdf
(Adobe Acrobat's "portable document format") or dp (Common Ground's
"digital paper") format. Netscape can launch the pdf or common ground
reader to view the document with formatting and fonts intact. The readers
are free to end users and can be automatically launched from Netscape &
other browsers when readers click on the document referencene. The viewers
allow readers to display and print the text, and the full version of Common
Ground (not free miniviewer) allows themn to find, select, and copy text
phrases.

Adobe Acrobat info, including how to integrate acrobat reader into WWW
browsers: http://199.97.97.11/acrobat/
To see an example of pdf look at the TimesFAX (New York Times) Internet
edition: http://nytimesfax.com/

Common Ground info: http://www.commonground.com/index.html
For an impressive demonstration of the foreign language use of Common
Ground: http://www.commonground.com/dpdocuments/index.html
Within about three minutes of contacting this site you should be displaying
fully formatted texts in eastern european languages, arabic, and japanese
by clicking on WWW links in you favorite browser.

> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 9, No. 225.
>...we need to be able to use phonetic symbols *incorporated* into
>the text (I realize that .GIF files can create phonetic symbols, but they
>cannot be integrated and also slow everything down). ...
>Dana Paramskas ...<danap@uoguelph.ca>

David Bantz <DBantz@UWLaX.edu> <http://www.uwlax.edu/InfoTech/AVCIT/>
Assoc. V. Chancellor, Information Technology, Univ. Wisconsin-La Crosse
145 Main Hall, 1725 State St., La Crosse, WI 54601-3788 USA
608-785-8024 (voice & secretary) -8825 (fax) or 800-442-6674