9.185 of wordprocessing...

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:47:53 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist

[1] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca> (14)
Subject: Re: 9.182 demise of wordprocessing?

[2] From: Richard Bear <RBEAR@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> (18)

[3] From: "Sarah L. Higley" <slhi@troi.cc.rochester.edu> (19)

[4] From: Roger Brisson <rob@psulias.psu.edu> (17)
Subject: Word processors

[5] From: Ted Underwood <wu10@cornell.edu> (7)

[6] From: "James R. Adair" <jadair@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu> (17)

[7] From: Cmartc@aol.com (80)
Subject: Word processing

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 21:58:41 -0400
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca>

This is in response to Humanist 9.182, on the Dvorak-supposed end of
evolutionary development for wordprocessing. Perhaps Mr. Dvorak's
imagination has reached its limit, but I don't see that wordprocessing has.
For example, the distinction between wordprocessing and desktop publishing
is an artificial one, increasingly harder to maintain, that needs to be
obliterated by more sophisticated WP software. Most macro languages for WP
could be made considerably easier to learn and use. Analysis of grammar and
style, arguably a WP function, is in its infancy, to put the matter
politely. Perhaps the area most in need of work, however, is integration of
software tools. WP is so fundamental to what we do with computers that a
single program should be able to serve a number of applications.

WM

Willard McCarty, Centre for Computing in the Humanities (Toronto)
(416) 978-3974 voice (416) 978-6519 fax mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca
http://www.cch.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/cch/wm.html