Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:42:06 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist

[1] From: W Schipper <schipper@morgan.ucs.mun.ca> (20)
Subject: Re: 9.183 UVic Guide; online zips

[2] From: Germaine Warkentin <warkent@epas.utoronto.ca> (11)
Subject: Re: 9.181 Wales e-mail? Exploration? book collection?

[3] From: WIEBEM@QUCDN.QUEENSU.CA (11)
Subject: 9.181 Wales e-mail? Exploration? book collection?

[4] From: Donald Theall <cudft@trentu.ca> (46)
Subject: Re: 9.181 Explorations?

[5] From: Dr Nigel Nettheim <N.Nettheim@unsw.edu.au> (5)
Subject: Re: Bibliography on Deception.

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 03:41:50 -0230 (NDT)
From: W Schipper <schipper@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>

> Re: 9.179 serendipitous postage on the Internet
>
> Re: James O'Donnell's difficulties finding a ZIP code:
> He's right, it is there already. See the post office's "ZIP Code Lookup"
> at http://www.usps.gov/ncsc/
>
> I bookmarked it some time ago, having stumbled across it while doing
> something else. Wasn't the kingdom of Serendip discovered by means of an
> activity similar to Net surfing?

But is there one for Canada? Germany and France have them on the Web as
well (I don't have the URLs, but try searching for "Postal Code" or
"Post Code"). The staff that answer the telephone at Canada Post can do
a lookup on a computer, but that is not publicly accessible.

Bill

--
W. Schipper                         Email: schipper@morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Department of English,              Tel: 709-737-4406

[Editor's note: Canada Post's homepage is at the URL http://www.canpost.ca/webpage/homepage/ecpchome.html#ENGHOME -- which announces "Postal Code Lookup - Coming Soon!". You may wish to note that I found this using the Open Text Web Index at the URL http://www.opentext.com:8080/omw/f-omw.html -- a very efficient instrument in my experience. -- WM]

--[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 07:28:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Germaine Warkentin <warkent@epas.utoronto.ca> Subject: Re: 9.181 Wales e-mail? Exploration? book collection?

The journal "Explorations" existed for nine numbers, published between 1953-59. It was edited by Edmund Carpenter, for several years with the participation of Marshall McLuhan, and published by the University of Toronto Press. It was briefly continued as a special section of "The Varsity Graduate" (University of Toronto) in 1964, but this does not seem to have lasted. You ought to be able to find copies in any major research library, since Explorations was much noted during its brief existence, but for its contents and its visual elegance.

--[3]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 11:53-0400 From: WIEBEM@QUCDN.QUEENSU.CA Subject: 9.181 Wales e-mail? Exploration? book collection?

*** Reply to note of 09/25/95 20:02 I have a friend at the University of Wales whose address is: Dr Barbara Dennis Head of Department of Victorian Studies Saint David's University College University of Wales Lampeter, Dyfed, Wales SA48 7ED U.K. FAX (0570) 423 634 Sorry I do not have an e-mail address; the fax number is 2 years old. Mel Wiebe, Queen's University at Kingston, Canada

--[4]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:14:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Donald Theall <cudft@trentu.ca> Subject: Re: 9.181 Explorations?

_EXPLORATIONS_, (1953-59) was published in conjunction with a Ford Foundation sponsored seminar on Culture and Communication at the University of Toronto directed by Marshall McLuhan. The journal was edited by E.S. (Ted) Carpenter, a young anthropology professor and McLuhan, who was a professor of English. Publication ceased in 1959. The journal no longer exists, though at one point an abortive effort was made by McLuhan to revive it as an insert in the University of Toronto Alumni magazine. (Unfortunately I do not have the dates for this at hand.) Nine issues of Explorations appeared. At the beginning of _Explorations_, I was involved with Carpenter and McLuhan since, as one of McLuhan's doctoral students, I served as as secretary to the seminar. _Explorations_ contained a good deal of material about oral and written language, part of which was owing to Carpenter as much as McLuhan, since Carpenter was an anthropologist interested in Inuit language and strongly influenced by the work of Edward Sapir. McLuhan's interest in questions of orality and literacy preceded his meeting Innis at the University of Toronto, and came from a literary direction -- a combination of four factors: (a) the history of the trivium (his Ph.D. thesis); (2) his awareness of the the work in oral literature by Milman Parry, and particularly Allfred Lord; (3) discussions of language by French _symboliste_ and later English modernist poets, especially Mallarme, Valery, Eliot and Pound; and (4) and to my mind the most important, since it is the source for many postmodernist inisights into writing and speech -- James Joyce. McLuhan died in 1981, but Ted Carpenter is still alive and living in New York City. He recently wrote about the _Explorations_ period in a Canadian literary magazine (_Canadian Notes and Queries_, Spring 1992). As far as I know, there are no electronic versions of _Explorations_, There were two reprints of material from it: _Explorations in Communication_ (Boston: Beacon Press, 1960), a collection of essays from the journal edited again by Carpenter and McLuhan; and a slightly revised re-issue with some supplementary essays added in an appendix, entitled _Verbi-Voco-Visual Explorations_ by Marshall McLuhan. (N.Y.:Something Else Press, 1967). The appended essays contain additional material on orality and literacy by Jesse Bessinger and Carol Hollis. _Explorations_, which had considerable influence in the 50s and early 60s, was partly used to launch McLuhan's career as an interntional guru. Of possible interest to you is that Walter Ong was a graduate student of McLuhan's at St. Louis in the 1940s. Two pieces that I have written which might be useful to an understanding and critique of this aspect of McLuhan are: "McLuhan and Joyce" in a special issue of _The Canadian Journal of Communication_ (Dec 1989) dedicated to McLuhan and his work, and an article published electronically in _Postmodern Culture_ , "Beyond the Orality/literacy Dichotomy: James Joyce and the Pre-history of Cyberspace," (v.2 n.3 (May, 1992)). DONALD F. THEALL

--[5]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 11:03:28 +1000 From: Dr Nigel Nettheim <N.Nettheim@unsw.edu.au> Subject: Re: Bibliography on Deception.

May I add to Nick Gessler's bibliography:

McConnell, R. A., editor, 1982. Parapsychology and Self-deception in Science. Biological Sciences Department, University of Pittsburgh.

and work cited there.

E-mail: N.Nettheim@unsw.edu.au Voice: +61-2-868-4005 Home: 204a Beecroft Rd, Cheltenham NSW 2119, Australia