9.137 ontology & enlightenment

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 21:43:51 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/humanist.html

[1] From: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" (11)
<U35395%UICVM.BitNet@pucc.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: 9.134 ontological breakdown

[2] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca> (35)
Subject: complete and perfect enlightenment

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 11:08:11 CDT
From: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <U35395%UICVM.BitNet@pucc.Princeton.EDU>

The essay by Brad DeLong (mysteriously copyrighted by Adam Engst?) was
interesting and well written, but it confused me. Prof. DeLong seems to
believe that he lives in a world where no one spends years any longer
studying and writing commentaries on single texts, where "we" nowadays
find Socrates quaint, and --- this is the real kicker --- where everyone
trusts the written word and finds it hard to imagine preferring viva
voce teaching.

Has Berkeley finally left earth and settled on a completely different
planet? Or do economists really know so little about the other people
with whom they share the globe?

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
University of Illinois at Chicago