9.131 [9.126] humanities and computing

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:35:50 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/humanist.html

[The following is a second mailing of Humanist 9.126]

[1] From: tomdill@womenscol.stephens.edu (28)
Subject: Re: 9.118 the humanities & computing
[2] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@phoenix.princeton.edu> (24)
Subject: disciplinary boundaries

-[1]-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: tomdill@womenscol.stephens.edu
To: mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 21:40:26 -0500

Richard Heinzkill's response to the jacket copy on David Marc's
*Bonfire of the Humanities* is understandable, but limited by his
failure to go inside the book. Just as Terry Castle has suffered
on other lists for the sensational headline attached to her
review of a book on Jane Austen, so Marc's book could be unfairly
categorized as another bit of multimedia triumphalism (of the
Negroponte kind), when in fact it offers some serious challenges
to humanists, but in a thoughtful (not exactly a "mad as hell")
way. It is true that the book is somewhat incoherent and parts look
as though they were swept into it for lack of a better disposal place,
but his suggestion that humanists are at fault for taking any of
several either self-blinding or self-serving attitudes toward
popular electronic culture in general and television in particular
is certainly accurate and his explanation of why these attitudes
doom humanists not simply to irrelevance but to failure in their
own espoused fields of interest is supported with convincing
evidence and arguments. It is worth looking at this book in
conjunction with Mark Slouka's *War of the Worlds: Cyberspace and
the High-Tech Assault on Reality* since both, whatever their flaws,
look at the conditions that directly affect our students and our
ability to continue to teach the materials and values we espouse.
These are neither vandals nor luddites, but thoughtful analysts
of the present situation. These are both titles that should be
of interest to those of us exploring the uses of computing in the
teaching of the humanities, since they suggest that we may be
ignoring inherent contradictions in our projects for lack of an
adequate theoretical understanding of the relationships betwen
electronic media and human thought.
Tom Dillingham tomdill@womenscol.stephens.edu