9.130 [9.124] aesthetics of Humanist

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:35:10 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/humanist.html

[The following is a second mailing of Humanist 9.124]

[1] From: cjg@stubbs.ucop.edu (51)
Subject: Re: 9.120 aesthetics of Humanist
[2] From: "larry a. taylor" <ltaylor@CS.UCLA.EDU> (4)
[3] From: Gloria McMillan <gmcmillan@east.pima.edu> (16)
Subject: walk-through of archive search?

-[1]-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: cjg@stubbs.ucop.edu
To: mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:47:49 -0700

I hate to have my first posting to this revitalized "Humanist" disagree
with our respected moderator, but I think the matter of handling headers is
_entirely_ in the hands of the recipient, and that - you, Willard - needn't
feel "confounded or depressed".

Any mail handler worth its salt can deal efficiently with "hiding" header
information so readers can get to the "jist" of the text. However... I use
Eudora and, paradoxically, leave the header information "on". There is a
certain pleasure I get from seeing them there, and a renewed respect I feel
for the programming that make this information network really work.

I think it has to do with the feeling of disconnectedness I feel with many
technological realities of my life. I used to believe it was possible
(theoretically, at least) for me to disassemble my wrist watch and restore
it to working order by reassembling its component parts. I now wear a
watch with a crystal display, and not only do I not know how it works, but
I am certain I could not disassemble/reassemble it. I won't even tell you
the last time I changed the spark plugs in a car. I know my present car
has them somewhere under the hood, but I don't know where. This is the
kind of stuff about which much is written under the label "technology
anxiety."

I don't experience any such ambivalent feeling about the Internet. Perhaps
one of the reasons is that I understand the technology better. Another
might be that I am reinforced in understanding the rather pedestrian way in
which computers go about algorithmically moving an electronic message
across the network of computers from its source to me. I get that from
glancing at (not reading) the headers. And it generally makes me feel
respectful and impressed.

Then I get to the meat of the Humanist message, refreshed and ready to go.

Chet