9.119 book; job posting

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 17:58:23 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/humanist.html

[1] Subject: Book on programming for the humanities
From: Eric Johnson <johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu>
Size: 22 lines
[2] Subject: Job Opening U of Michigan
From: Claire Smith <csmith@epas.utoronto.ca>
Size: 27 lines

-[1]-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Eric Johnson <johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu>
To: Willard McCarty <mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 05:55:24 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Book on programming for the humanities

A Modest Announcement of

A New Book:

Computer Programming for the Humanities in SNOBOL4

For ten years on the Dakota State University campus and three
times via Internet, I have taught a course in which students
learn to program in SNOBOL4. There have been requests for the
materials of that course. The eight major lectures with
exercises have been collected in a book: <I>Computer Programming
for the Humanities in SNOBOL4</I>. It is intended to be
sufficient to learn how to use the SNOBOL4 programming language
to write programs of practical value for applications in the
humanities, especially those related to texts. The public-domain
Vanilla SNOBOL4 compiler (for DOS and DOS under Windows) is used
as the basis of the book's discussions and can be used for all
exercises. Sample solutions to the exercises with discussions of
the problems are available free of cost via email for those who
own the book.

For more information about the book, point your Web viewer to

http://www.dsu.edu/~johnsone/snobook.html

Or send email to langners@columbia.dsu.edu

-- Eric Johnson
JohnsonE@columbia.dsu.edu