on Humanist itself

Willard McCarty (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 18 Aug 1995 21:30:18 -0400 (EDT)

Center for Electronic Texts in the Humanities
Princeton and Rutgers
http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/humanist.html

[1] Subject: infelicities & betterments
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca>
Size: 18 lines
[2] Subject: Humanist WWW pages
From: Andrew Burday <andy@dep.philo.mcgill.ca>
Size: 30 lines
[3] Subject: HUMANIST
From: lanjh1@bonaly.hw.ac.uk
Size: 12 lines

-[1]-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca>
To: mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 21:21:28 -0400
Subject: infelicities & betterments

Dear Humanists:

You may have noticed that messages from Humanist are coming as if they were
from me personally. As one of you already pointed out, having "Humanist" as
the sender is preferable, since then one can sort (even delete!) messages
without having to look at them. My colleagues at CIT (Princeton) are
changing the name of the editor's account to "Humanist Editor" from "Willard
McCarty", but apparently it takes time for the change to be circulated.

I'm attempting to cultivate a certain amount of ignorance about how to edit
Humanist so that my old preferences do not obscure new realities. Your
patience and suggestions while I bumble along will be appreciated.

Someone wrote me a note saying that he hoped Humanist wouldn't be primarily
published on the Web. It won't, as I thought my opening message made clear.
I like the Web as much as the next fellow, but Humanist is a forum, not a
bulletin board. Once the traffic reaches a certain density, I will likely
begin posting announcements and other non-conversational mail on a Humanist
web page made for the purpose, but for now, as I said, I'm feeling my way along.

Thanks for your help with the resurrection.

WM
Editor