8.0451 Society for Late Antiquity (1/32)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sun, 9 Apr 1995 23:24:10 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0451. Sunday, 9 Apr 1995.

Date: Sun, 09 Apr 95 09:24:24 EDT
From: Ralph Mathisen <N330009@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU>
Subject: Society for Late Antiquity

SOCIETY FOR LATE ANTIQUITY
The "Shifting Frontiers in Late Antiquity" Conference, held at the
University of Kansas March 23-26, attracted over 75 participants from
eight countries. During the final discussion it was universally
agreed that the tradition of such meetings needed to continue, and
that it would be worthwhile to identify additional ways of exchanging
information about the many facets of the study of Late Antiquity.
Future conferences on other thematic themes relating to Late Antiquity
already have been tentatively scheduled. The group also initiated a
collaborative effort with the European "Transformation of the Roman
World" program. Other suggestions included the creation of a Society
for Late Antiquity and the distribution of a hard-copy newsletter fo-
cusing on Late Antiquity that would complement the electronic discus-
sions on the LT-ANTIQ discussion list.
What we would like to do now is to ascertain the degree of interest
that there is in initiating a loosely affiliated group, a "Society
for Late Antiquity", of those interested in furthering the study of
Late Antiquity as very broadly conceived. So we ask those who would
be interested in participating in, or even organizing, future confer-
ences on Late Antiquity, or who would like to receive a Late Antiquity
newsletter, or who have other ideas about cooperative endeavors of this
nature, please to contact either Ralph Mathisen, N330009@UNIVSCVM.CSD.
SCAROLINA.EDU (EMail), or Hagith Sivan, Dept. of History, Univ. of
Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66044 (snail mail). Please include both EMAIL
and snail mail addresses. Thank you.
For those of you who would like to join the Late Antiquity discussion
list, the address is LISTSERV@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU and the com-
mand is SUBSCRIBE LT-ANTIQ first-name last-name.
N.B. This posting is being made to several lists that deal with ancient
and medieval history; our apologies for duplication to those of you sub-
scribed to several lists. Cross postings to other relevant lists not
on the master list are welcome.