8.0260 SW: Textual Analysis for History Students (1/35)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 22:56:30 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0260. Thursday, 13 Oct 1994.

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 15:21:15 GMT
From: ROBERT VAN DER ZWAN <RZWAN@dish.gla.ac.uk>
Subject: Cal-application on textual analysis for history students

My name is Robert van der Zwan. Since the beginning of September I am
working on a TILT project (Teaching with Independent Learning
Technology) at Glasgow University. We are looking at the development
of a CAL application to be used by undergraduate history students,
which focuses on textual analysis. We will use 17th century texts on
political philosophy.

We are thinking of using authoring software (Toolbook,
Guide Authorware) seperately or in combination with software for
textual analysis (Tact, OCP). We are also looking at the
possibilities of software for qualitative analysis used in the
social sciences (Atlas-i, Nudist, Textbase Alpha). The use of
Microcosm is also one of our options. We have recently started the
evaluation and would like to know if you have any experiences in this
field which could be use to us.

More specifically we would like to know:
1. to what extent do authoring software packages allow other software
to be launched. (for example combination of tact en toolbook)
2. do you have information on the possibilities of software for
qualitative analysis compared to those of software for textual
analysis.
3. to what extent do authoring software packages allow textual
analysis (word frequencies, concordances, searches for words or
related terms, statistical analysis). What about for example the
newest version Toolbook.
4. do you know of similar or related projects that might be of use for
us.

Please sent your replies to my e-mail address: rzwan@dish.gla.ac.uk

Thanks,

Robert van der Zwan