7.0187 R: GUI Software Tools (1/37)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 14 Sep 1993 17:26:40 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0187. Tuesday, 14 Sep 1993.

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 14:19:33 -0400
From: tom@sailfish.cse.fau.edu (Tom Horton)
Subject: 7.0179 R: Software Tools

Regarding GUI software development tools that create software portable
across platforms.... There is an article in the October issue of the trade
magazine *UNIX Today* (pages 65-74) that describes 5 such tools, including
one that I mentioned, XVT.

To learn more about SUIT, the available-for-free-for-educators GUI package
from the Univ. of Virginia, send an empty e-mail message to
suit@uvacs.cs.virginia.edu and you'll automatically get back a message
describing the software's features and you can get it. (You can get it off
the Internet using ftp.)

I have a student who will look at SUIT this term, but right now I can't say
much about it. (Can anyone else out there?) I am interested in this
package and how it (and other things) could be used to facilitate software
development for text processing in the humanities.

Here's an extract from SUIT's introduction message:

>SUIT provides a standard library of screen components (buttons, menus,
>sliders, etc.), and allows interactive layout and specification of user
>interfaces. The user interface to a SUIT program is editable even while the
>application runs. Programs using SUIT are written in ANSI-C. SUIT runs on
>UNIX/X, Color Macintosh, DOS, and Windows ; a single application source file
>may be recompiled to run on all platforms.
>
>SUIT was designed to be easy to learn - we view it as "the Pascal of UI
>toolkits." Learning from a 10-page written tutorial, our undergraduates
>have been able to use SUIT productively after 2 hours. This is possible
>because we rely more heavily on interactive tools than previous toolkits,
>and because the entire system as been designed to be easy to learn.

Tom
Dr. Thomas B. Horton, Assistant Professor
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, FL 33431 USA Phone: 407/367-2674 FAX: 407/367-2800
Internet: tom@cse.fau.edu Bitnet: HortonT@fauvax