6.0633 Usages: Caring Less and 'They' (4/71)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 1 Apr 1993 12:02:55 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0633. Thursday, 1 Apr 1993.

(1) Date: Tue, 30 Mar 93 13:44:06 CST (35 lines)
From: Norman Hinton <hinton@eagle.sangamon.edu>
Subject: Re: 6.0631 Rs: Illogicalities; CETEDOC (6/96)

(2) Date: Tue, 30 Mar 93 13:35:42 -0800 (11 lines)
From: blspahr@garnet.berkeley.edu

(3) Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 20:29:03 -0500 (9 lines)
From: farmstro@epas.utoronto.ca (Frances Armstrong)
Subject: Re: Caring less

(4) Date: Wed, 31 Mar 93 12:59:43 GMT (16 lines)
From: "J.J. Higgins" <J.Higgins@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject: Genderless THEY

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 93 13:44:06 CST
From: Norman Hinton <hinton@eagle.sangamon.edu>

> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1993 15:22 EST
> From: "Peter Graham, Rutgers U.; 908-932-5908" <GRAHAM@ZODIAC.BITNET>
> Subject: Re: 6.0622 Illogicalities and Constructions (4/122)
>

> Norman Hinton just said (re Constructions):
>
> >"On site" and "in concert" may be unusual constructions in Australia, but in
> the United States they are so common that I cannot even remember having
> heard "on _the_ site" or "in _the_ concert".
>
> I was on the site at the very time that Doris Day screamed out in the
> concert that Hitchcock was filming.
> From: Peter Graham, Rutgers University Libraries. Sorry.

Yes, I did put that badly, didn't I ? Just to clarify for folks who came in
late, the remark I was responding to was that people (in Australia)
"wrongly said 'in site' and 'in concert' when they meant "...THE...".
So I meant that useage like "Garth Brooks in concert" and "on-site
construction management" are, for better or worse, standard American English
useages.

About "could of" -- it is, of course, a spelled version of the perfectly
normal reduction of "have" which we do not complain about in constructions
like "you've". I guess if people spelled it "could've" (as some novelists
do) there would not be quite such an outcry. But the problem is one of
(quite acceptable) spoken English versus (illogically) non-acceptable writen
English, as is so often the case....

Norman Hinton hinton@eagle.sangamon.edu