6.0632 Qs: Anticipatio; Pronunciation; Chartier; GENIE (4/84)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 30 Mar 1993 13:54:45 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0632. Tuesday, 30 Mar 1993.

(1) Date: Mon, 29 Mar 93 14:49:10 EST (14 lines)
From: "Clarence F. Brown" <CB@PUCC>
Subject: Anticipatio

(2) Date: Mon, 29 Mar 93 15:41 EST (19 lines)
From: "Gerald M. Phillips, Ph.D." <GMP@PSUVM>
Subject: Query on Pronunciation

(3) Date: Mon, 29 Mar 93 15:58:07 MST (26 lines)
From: epalmer@CC.UTAH.EDU
Subject: Roger Chartier query

(4) Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1993 22:27:43 -0500 (25 lines)
From: slhi@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Sarah L. Higley)
Subject: GEnie and Procomm

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 93 14:49:10 EST
From: "Clarence F. Brown" <CB@PUCC>

How do members of this list understand *homo unius libris*? When Augustine
(I think) said Timeo hominem unius libris, did he not refer to an adversary
who is dangerous because of having mastered his one book? But nowadays it
seems to me that the man of one book is considered an easy mark because of
his limited mental horizon.

Clarence Brown, Professor of Comparative Literature
Department of Comparative Literature
Princeton University, Princeton, N.J. 08544
(609) 258-4027 (FAX: 258-1873) <CB@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU>