6.0586 Another Guide to the Internet (1/37)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Fri, 12 Mar 1993 16:57:39 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0586. Friday, 12 Mar 1993.

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 93 16:25:30 EDT
From: Scott Stebelman <SCOTTLIB@GWUVM>
Subject: INTERNET Teaching Aid and Humanities Bulletin Board List

Recently I have given workshops to humanities faculty on how to navigate the
INTERNET. I prepared a 45 page guide, entitled "Electronic Communication and
the Humanities Scholar," which was given to each participant. The guide
included the following sections:

1. What Is The INTERNET?
2. How to Enter the BITNET/INTERNET Network
3. How to Send Mail to Another Individual
4. Reading Your Mail
5. Subscribing to Electronic Discussion Lists and Electronic Journals
6. Searching Library Catalogs on the INTERNET
7. Sending Files from Your Computer to Another Computer
8. Downloading a BITNET/INTERNET File onto Your Computer
9. FTP
10. List of Humanities Bulletin Boards, Electronic Journals, and
Newsletters

Anyone interested in reading or using this guide can anonymous ftp it at the
following address: gwuvm.gwu.edu
The file name is: bitwork.fac

The guide was composed in WordPerfect and is a binary file. Therefore you will
need to issue the "binary" command before the "get" command. You may also need
software to download it as a binary file from your mainframe to your pc.

If you would like to ftp only the List of Humanities Bulletin Boards,
Electronic Journals, and Newsletters, that file name is: BBS.$

It exists as an ASCII file, so the binary command is unnecessary.

If you have any questions or difficulties, please let me know.

Scott Stebelman
The Gelman Library
The George Washington University
scottlib@gwuvm