6.0162 Rs: Copyright; 'You Guys'; Quote (3/40)

Tue, 28 Jul 1992 16:13:18 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0162. Tuesday, 28 Jul 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 28 Jul 92 21:10:05 EST (17 lines)
From: ROLAND BOER <rboer@metz.une.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Copyrights and licences

(2) Date: Mon, 27 Jul 92 11:01:35 MDT (14 lines)
From: George Lang <GLANG@vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA>
Subject: "You guys"

(3) Date: Sat, 25 Jul 92 01:09 EDT (9 lines)
From: Kevin Berland <BCJ@PSUVM>
Subject: Re: 6.0155 Qs: Quote

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 92 21:10:05 EST
From: ROLAND BOER <rboer@metz.une.edu.au>

I notice with some interest the TLG debate and the periodic
emergence of the copyright question. A simple question:
is not the notion of copyright obsolete when there is no longer
an original text? If the text exists only in multiple form
-- rather than as an original from which copies are made -- then
it seems to me that the notion of copyright has drifted away
and disappeared (or at least that it is on its way). I think the
world they use here is "simulacrum."

Roland Boer
University of New England
Armidale Australia