6.0160 Rs: Copyrights and Licenses (2/47)

Mon, 27 Jul 1992 10:21:37 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0160. Monday, 27 Jul 1992.

(1) Date: Fri, 24 Jul 92 16:18:11 PDT (22 lines)
From: cbf@athena.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: 6.0154 Rs: On TLG Policies

(2) Date: Fri, 24 Jul 92 21:48:03 CDT (25 lines)
From: "Richard L. Goerwitz" <goer@MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject: TLG fluff not over copyrights

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 92 16:18:11 PDT
From: cbf@athena.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)

I'm on Ted Brunner's and Mark Olson's side on all this.
Putting together a massive text data base project takes
money, which immediately imposes all sorts of limitations,
both legal and practical.

The alternative is pure voluntary labor, and I've tried that
path to a certain extent with the digital archive of Spanish
texts. While we have had a remarkable response from volunteers
in transcribing and proof-reading texts, we still need a core
of professional--which means, paid--supervisors in order to
ensure the quality of the texts.

Copyright is going to be one of the biggest issues to deal with
in the brave new world of electronic texts, and we're no where
near ready to solve it.

Charles Faulhaber
UC Berkeley