6.0135 Hardware: CPU Choices; Peripherals (2/75)

Tue, 14 Jul 1992 18:08:28 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0135. Tuesday, 14 Jul 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 14 Jul 92 11:14:00 PDT (22 lines)
From: <DGH@pc01.divinity.yale.edu>
Subject: CPU choice

(2) Date: Tue, 14 Jul 92 10:18:11 BST (53 lines)
From: Donald A Spaeth <GKHA13@CMS.GLASGOW.AC.UK>
Subject: Networks and peripherals corrected

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 92 11:14:00 PDT
From: <DGH@pc01.divinity.yale.edu>

A visiting professor has asked some advice on selecting a notebook
computer, and is concerned about whether he will get satisfactory results
with a 386 machine, or whether he should invest in a 486. Of course, there
are many factors which enter into system performance, however I thought I
would check and see if experience had produced any strong opinions.

He uses NOTA BENE primarily, and also uses the TLG database extensively. He
plans to use SEARCHER/PHAROS with TLG. He may also be considering Lbase.

In addition, if anyone has experience using the TLG CDROM with a notebook
computer, I would be interested in hearing about your hardware and how
dis/satisfied you are with it.

Thanks.

Duane Harbin
Information Services Librarian