6.0122 Rs: More on Sharing Peripherals (2/43)

Thu, 9 Jul 1992 18:14:18 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0122. Thursday, 9 Jul 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1992 15:17:24 +0300 (EET-DST) (23 lines)
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL
Subject: RE: 6.0118 Rs: Sharing Peripherals (1/31)

(2) Date: Thu, 09 Jul 92 13:55:24 EDT (20 lines)
From: "David R. Chesnutt" <N330004@UNIVSCVM>
Subject: RS: Sharing Peripherals/MacLink

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1992 15:17:24 +0300 (EET-DST)
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL

Of course, as soon as I sent off my tuppence-worth about reading
PC files and running programs on a Mac, I came across PC-Magazine
for May 12 (we get these things late over here, and I find the time
to read them even later) which has a whole section on PC-Mac
connectivity (p. 173 on). P. 181ff. is specifically on transferring
files. Basically, it says: a) if you're using a program that also
exists in a version for the other machine (eg Microsoft Word), it
will usually have a file-export utility that produces a file for
the other machine; b) many programs produce "standard" formats
(e.g. TIFF, EPS i.e. Postscript) that applications on both machines
can read; c) there are several third-party translation programs,
e.g. MacLinkPlus/PC, Word for Word. It also deals with the nitty-
gritty of physically moving files between machines.

I assume that PC-Magazine is distributed at least as widely in
the States as in Israel :-> so will save myself the trouble of
continuing to abstract the article...

Judy Koren, Haifa.