6.0121 Qs: Indexes; OCRs (2/24)

Thu, 9 Jul 1992 18:13:02 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0121. Thursday, 9 Jul 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 12:51 BST (13 lines)
From: "David Zeitlyn, Soc. & Cult. Anthropology, U of Oxford"
Subject: How old are indexes?

(2) Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 14:36:27 BST (11 lines)
From: J.G.Anderson@vme.glasgow.ac.uk
Subject: Optical character readers

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 12:51 BST
From: "David Zeitlyn, Soc. & Cult. Anthropology, U of Oxford"

Dear Humanists,
can anyone out there give me a rough idea of when indexes became a part
of (scholarly or otherwise) book production. The basic books on the history of
the book that I have looked at dont give the information.
Rough dates for contents pages and footnotes may also be interesting-
I want to put some time perspective on the "multidimensionality"
of hypertext!
Many thanks in advance
David Zeitlyn